Heating a Large Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wondering how most users prefer to heat their 120 Gallon + Tanks.

I was looking at Fluvial 300w heaters, but their best model is rated for 100 Gallons, so I'm assuming I'd need 2. I've noticed most 300w are typically around 80 - 100 Gallons.

However Ehiem sells a 300w heater that is apparently good up to 265 Gallons, which seems extremely high when compared to the rest.

Is anyone using a single Ehiem heater for their large tank, I'd prefer just using 1.

Thanks

Generally you have 2 heaters in any aquarium that is more than 4 foot long. In a small 4 foot tank you can get by with 1 heater, but a 4x2x2ft tank should have 2 heaters. Tanks that are bigger than 4ft should have a heater at each end of the tank.

The number of heaters you require also depends on where you live (cold climate vs warm climate) and how warm the room is where the aquarium is kept. In a warm well insulated house, you might be fine with 1 heater because it only has to push the temperature up a couple of degrees. However, if the room is cold then 2 heaters are safer and each heater will work less and theoretically last longer.

If the aquarium is insulated (foam under the base and on the back & sides, and a cover glass), the heater/s will work less and you might be fine with 1 heater on a big tank. Having said this, two heaters are safer in big tanks. If one heater fails the other will keep the water warm.

If you have a canister filter you may want to consider an external heater. My 300w hydor has been running for 14 years with no problems.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back