Healthy bettas.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

davewfilms

Reaction score
B) hi i would like to buy a male betta i had a betta but it died after 8 days white cotton wool stuff all over some type of fungus i think anyway i would like to try another one as they r great fish i have 2 platys and 2 corys in tank i went to look in lfs all the male betta had all there fins and tails missing looks liked they been attacked so i went and looked in another lfs and all there male bettas had fins and tails missing and a lookeed poorly sitting on bottom of tank not moving much .so would it be ok to buy one of these or will it be better to look for more healthy betta as i wouldnt like to lose another one.

i would always buy the healthiest betta i could find. the heartache of starting off with a sick and abused betta and having it die days later just isn't worth it. my respect goes out to those that do "save" those bettas though.

You would be better off getting a healthy one. It's nice to rescue the sickly ones, but it may cost you time, effort, and money because a sickly one requires extra care and may not be a wise choice to put in with the others lest they catch what the betta has.

B) ok i will keep looking for healthy one all the ones i have been looking at badly attacked by other fish why do lfs keep them in tanks with other fish that attacks them will my other fish attack them 2platys and 2 corys and what other fish could i put in my tank that will be ok with them dont want any more livebeares.and will it be better to add other fish before betta my tank size is 15 us gallons didnt want to buy betta and it ends up being fin nipped like ones in lfs. thanks

Hi davewfilms :)

You are smart to buy only healthy fish if you will be adding them directly to your community tank. :nod:

The damaged fins and tails you see at the lfs might actually be a bacterial disease called fin rot. The bettas arrive at your lfs in tiny little sealed packets with barely enough water to cover them. Because their water becomes filthy, it is easy for them to fall victim to this disease. While medicine works wonders for these fish, it's not a good idea to risk the health and well being of your other ones.

Hold out for a healthy betta. Also, when you do find one and buy it, quarantine it for at least a week (two weeks if you can) to make sure it doesn't have some contagious illness (fungus, ick, parasites, bacteria). It is easier to treat one fish in a small container then to have to treat your whole tank since not all fish can withstand the same medicines and dosages, often medicines will kill live plants and it will almost always throw off the ecological balance of your big tank which may cause all sorts of problems for you. It also gives your new fish some time to adjust to a new owner and new routines (when lights go on, when lights go off, when feeding time is, who that person is who comes to look, what water changes are like, etc.)--moving is stressful business and often a perfectly healthy fish may develop an illness from being stressed. It also will give both your old fish and the new fish to get used to seeing each other--you can hang the new fish's quarantine container inside the large tank so everyone can get used to seeing each other (plus the smaller container will be kept at the same temp as the big tank). Even after you finally do get to release him into the big tank, it may be stressful for him (so many store-bought fish never live in large tanks so it's a little daunting have all that space suddenly) so keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't develop anything (if he does, take him out immediately so the rest of your fish don't catch it and start some medical treatment immediately).

B) ok thanks i keep looking for healthy betta i was wondering what other fish i could add to my tank when i get betta i currently have 2 platys 2 corys i would like to add more fish and 1 male betta what fish would do best and would it be better to add betta last

If your tank is 15 US gallons, it will be either a 15 gallon High, which is 20" x 10" x 18", or a 15 gallon Long, which is 24" x 12' x 12'.

One way to think about stocking a tank is to plan for a few fish to inhabit the top, middle and bottom levels. If you have the High tank you have more of a middle level than with the Long tank.

So now, your two corys are for the bottom, the betta will take the top, and the platties the middle. They will, of course, mix, but these are their natural territories.

If it were my tank, I'd only get two more corys, or one cory and another platy (a female, it you have one of each now.) And the betta, of course.

This way all the areas of the tank would be stocked and you would have room to keep a few of the platties' fry, when they have them. You would also have a nice mix of colors and a variety of differently shaped fish. :thumbs:

It wouldn't matter when you add the betta because his territory is the top and there will not be any other fish in conflict with him over it. :D

my tank is 24"x12x14" i have 2 female platys didnt want babies i was wondering if i could get some diffrent type of fish

I suggested another platy because if there is a male and only one female, he may annoy her too much. But since that's not a problem and there won't be any fry, there are quite a few different options. :nod:

You might want to consider 3 kuhli loaches. They are active and amusing, and a different shape from your other fish. But, they are considered bottom fish and you might want more mid level ones.

OR

Eight glowlight tetras OR 8 cardinal tetras Or 8 neon tetras would fit and would give you a small school of brightly colored small fish to enjoy.

OR

I think you could add another cory and 2 African Dwarf Frogs, if you like them. You would need to have a secure cover on your tank because of the betta, so jumping wouldn't be a problem.

I would avoid getting any gouramis or guppies since you will be getting a betta. :no:

Perhaps some other members might have ideas, too. :D

B) thanks for reply i didnt want to get cardinals because i had 8 ande they all died 2 died after a week and 2 after 2weeks and 4 after 4 weeks last 4 died of ich i was wondering if there was any more hardier tetras i could get.i did have some red eye tetra put they nipped platys tales so i returned to lfs.or other small fish that will b ok with betta.i always test my water and evreything is fine.

Here's a link to a site that has a list of tetras:

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10tetra.htm

You could fit 6-8 small tetras with the fish you have. Some other choices might be the gold, black neon or lemon tetras. If you go with tetras, a small school of only one kind would be best. :D

B) hi inchworm thanks for advice and link to website very usefull i think i will get 6 tetra black neons or glowlights see what is availble at lfs also will it be ok to get 1 more cory and the betta of course. I hope this will not be to many fish for my tank i will have 2 platys,3 corys ,6 tetra,1 betta what do you think.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back