he keeps making bubble nests....

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
would it be a good idea to get barry, my betta, a female friend if he keeps making bubble nests. he makes them twice a week.

I don't think it's a good idea unless you want to breed and know how.

If you introduce a female into the tank, she will die. You can't just add a female to please him. :no:

I agree with Tempe, don't try breeding them unless you really know what your doing and are prepared for all the fry. If you want to get a female to keep in a seperate tank and let them see each other occassionally, that is fine, they do enjoy that, but it's not necessary to let them breed, it will only cause one if not both fish to lose fins or possibly die.

Linda
www.pet-emporium.com
www.cooking-fanatics.com

he seems real mellow. i dont think hed hurt her. he likes my guppy, and their supposed 2 eat the, well thats what ive herd at least. i want to breed them though. i kinda want to have a fish hatchery when im older, lol.

Plz read as much as possible about betta breeding and the requirements before even attempting it. I'm not even thinking about it until I have a room just for bettas :p

yea.. if your planning on breeding, youll need somewhere to breed them, a community tank isnt the place for betta breeding, you will also need a place to condition the female (away from the male)..

so look into it and find out as much as you can before you start or youll have some dead fish and an empty pocket

listen to these guys. males can be vicious to females.

im in the process of mating them and in the first go the male made my female chain-store VT, henceforth named "shredded wheat" because of fin damage, look like a REALLY nice crown tail. but she isn't a crowntail. thats all the fin damage.

we just finished breeding our two crowntails and it's true that the females get beat up pretty bad. our female suffered fin damage in the encounter but as long as the girl has places to hide everything should be ok. we use a large clump of java moss every time we breed. it works quite well as the male doesn't like to get messed up in the tangle and the female can swim underneath and chill until she feels ready. this time around it took 5 days for breeding, the eggs were fertilized yesterday actually. we took the female out and put her into her recovery bowl, indian almond leaf was put in and today, a day later i can see her fins coming back, she will be as good as new ;) we kept the tank covered and resisited taking too many peeks at them so they had privacy and everything went smoothly. now it's important to stay away from the male and let him take care of the newborns, they are dropping from the nest and he spends all his time picking them off the bottom of the tank back into the nest. if he gets spooked now he could start eating them or ingore them altogether. we are keeping our fingers crossed as we do every time. tomorrow if things go well we take the male out and let him recover. he looks tired but he is being a good dad so far... ;)

ive ben reading on it for months. i have plenty of space 2. i have a heated garage w/alot of space( well its more like a pool house). would that be a good place 2 keep them??

wrs said:
ive ben reading on it for months. i have plenty of space 2. i have a heated garage w/alot of space( well its more like a pool house). would that be a good place 2 keep them??
sounds good if got the money--the hobby can be pretty expensive. ;)

Most reactions

Back