have i been doing the fishless cycle wrong?

houndour

Twiglet and Eeyore
Reaction score
I started by putting in enough ammonia to get to 5(units), this was 30 drops.

Then I kept testing the water every day (since 16th march) and my ammonia levels have been 5 still. I haven't added any more ammonia since and now reading the instructions again I think i was sposed to add 30 drops everyday.

Day before yesterday I had traces of Nitrite and yesterday more nitrite, so I must be reaching the nitrite spike?

What should I do? Carry on as I am and only add ammonia when it reaches below 5, or start adding ammonia every day?

Sorry. all confused.

Sam

I left my ammonia drop to about 0.50 before I added more. By this time my nitrite had spiked and dropped back to zero so I only added half a T-Spoon, enough to get me to the weekend until I went out and bought my fishies!

What is your Nitrite reading?

I had a similar experience when I cycled my 80 gallon. I was advised to stop adding ammonia because it was suggested that I had overdosed.

Don't add any more ammonia for now. Once you see the ammonia levels start to drop, start adding half of the original amount. At this point, the bacteria in your tank should be consuming the ammonia (that's why the levels will be dropping) and the nitrite should be rising even more.

Thanks. My Nitrite readings are rising a bit every day now. My ammonia still appears to 5 though. But maybe it is dropping, just ever so slightly. I will not add any ammonia until it drops.

My Nitrite reading is not even as pink as the first scale (I think it's 1...I didn't really take note I just got excited at the pale pink tinge). How high does it go before it comes back down again?

Sam

Mine went to 4.00ppm and stayed there for a week!
I wouldn't add any ammonia until your ammonia reading is very low mate,
it does appear, as I did, you have overdosed on ammonia.

Leave the nitrite get rid of it!

oh I could have a wait then! oops. Well no rush. I havent even got the plants yet. If they don't come today then I prob won't get them till Tuesday now it's bank holiday weekend.

Thats good anyway, when I planted my aquarium while cycling the ammonia melted them!

Although once it strats to drop I stuck them in and they took well!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back