Have fish got.....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jaime007

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Have fish got color or black and white vision? I have always wanted to no but never got round to posting about it?

cool cuz it would be a shame if they couldnt see color cuz all the colors that most fish have are very very brght

^ That suggests to me that they can see colours. I know they shoal visually, i.e. with fish that look like them, and a lot of fish have similar markings but different colours. Also I read once that some male bettas are really picky and will only mate with a certain coloured female...that might just be a myth though.

yeh but it would make sence. i would like to see how a fish see's. i no they can hear cuz u only have to tap the glass and they make sudden moves!

They can't hear, they have a special organ that lets them sense vibrations in the water :D I'm sure they can see color to an extent, and it may vary from species to species :)

Did you ever wonder how a fish knows what type of fish it is. When they pair up or shoal how do they know that they are a Clown loach or a neon, Tigar barb its not as if they look in the mirror. :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Interesting info on fish vision here...

Oops, that's just deep water... -_-

Here's better info:

"How do fish see ?

The optical system in fish is similar to that of land vertebrates. However, there are some important differences. They have spherical-shaped lens, and they focus by changing the relative distance between the lens and the retina.

Many deep-sea fish have mostly rods for increased low light sensitivity. They even have epithelial layers for protection from bright light.

Fish with cones have 4 types- red, green, blue, and ultraviolet (some have 2 or 3). Fish with all 4 cones live close to water surface...Some fish have upwardly directed eyes- specially those which are preyed upon by birds.

Some fish have tubular eyes, which help to concentrate the limited light that penetrates to great depths.

The south American “four-eyed fish” swims along the surface, with its eyes protruding partly out of the water. Each of its two eyes is split into an upper half for vision in the air and a lower half for underwater vision."

From this

Most reactions

Back