Have a few questions on betta fish. Please advise.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Barnhartmd051977

Reaction score
Ok first male betta in 10 gallon tank... what can I add to tank? HOB filter an no live plants at this time.

Second male betta in 24 gallon tank what can I add? Internal filter built into back of tank. Some small live plants.

Third and most important question. 34 gallon tank... want to do a female betta sorority tank. How many bettas can I add? What plants should I add? Do not want co2. Can I add other fish? Canister filter drilled tank.

Goal is eventually move them to a 75 gallon tank but want to start small.

Thank you all for your time and advice.

Also where is best place to buy bettas? Or your thoughts on best place to buy them?

In my opinion putting Berta’s in anything other than a fish bowl is pointless. With that said u can putt them with most fish that require the same water peramitera and have low aggression. They must also be around the same size. 1/2 a inch of fish per gallon is the standard way to judge how many fish I can have in a tank. So a 10 gallon tank could support 5 inches of fish.

It is the advice of pretty much every reliable source that male Bettas are not community fish. This works two ways; the Betta frequently sees other upper fish as enemies, or the other fish see the Betta's fins as fin nipping fun. Even otherwise peaceful small fish can turn nippy when they are tempted like this. The fact that a few aquarists may have managed this, or thought they had, does not make the risk to the fish worth it.

Female bettas in a sorority tank is another matter entirely, and I will leave it for the Betta folks to advise.

Since it was mentioned, the inch or half-inch of fish per gallon is a start but not a reliable guide, as fish species differ. Working out the number of fish in any aquarium must consider the tank size obviously, but also the fish species which involves how many of that species might be necessary for the health of the fish (not even considering tank size at this juncture), and how much space they need; a one inch cardinal tetra in a group requires less physical space than a one inch danio in a group, even though the fish themselves are much the same mass ratio.

Bettas are not community fish. They are much better kept alone.

The 10 gallon tank is perfect for a male betta - on his own. However, the 24 gallon tank will look a bit empty with just one fish. Would it be possible to get another 5 to 10 gallon tank for the second betta, then keep other fish in the 24 gallon?
Another option would be to fit a divider in the 24 gallon tank and keep both bettas in there. The divider would need to be non-see through, or have some decor to stop them seeing each other.

I have never had a sorority of females, but I know that NickAu has.

In my opinion putting Berta’s in anything other than a fish bowl is pointless.

Bettas need more than a bowl. They need a heated filtered tank of at least 5 gallons/20 litres.

Thank you all for the advice so far. We don't mind empty looking tanks, that's what plants are for.

Yes I will wait for more advise on betta sorority tanks. That is the main focus.

Again thank you all for the advice so far.

In my opinion putting Berta’s in anything other than a fish bowl is pointless.
I beg your pardon?

A 10 gallon should be the minimum size for 1 male betta a 15 gallon heavily planted is even better.
Male bettas are quite active and do enjoy the extra room to swim around.

There is a Male Betta, over 70 red cherry shrimp a baby BN pleco 2 mystery snails 15 Kuhli loaches and an unknown number of Malaysian Trumpet snails in this tank.
O0pXJSN.jpg

He looks so unhappy in that big old planted tank.
fl9AIAF.jpg

Heres a close up, Shrimp and Bettas do work in larger tanks ( expect some to be eaten )
b3wU3S2.jpg

Like Sue said you can divide the a bigger tank or you could try a sorority.

Something like this. I lost this tank in the floods almost 12 months ago.

Ps

The big tank in my sig is my sorority tank
See more here.
Winner! - February 2018 FishForums Tank of the Month

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back