has anyone ever kept brown bullheads?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I think your the first person to ask about Catfish for a pond. :thumbs:

There are a few species of Catfish that you can keep in a pond but you have to remember that companions must be chosen carefully!

Channel Catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, these large catfish can reach upto 48", often sold in pond sections as an Albino form. They have been successfully kept in large Koi ponds.

Bullheads, there are two species of Bullhead - Ameiurus melas or Black Bullhead and A.nebulosus or Brown Bullhead, these can be kept in tanks or pond in coldwater or low tropical temperatures. They do best in the aquarium as in a pond they will hardly ever be seen. These 30cm/12" catfish can survive in water with a very low oxygen content and are often shipped over in the hundreds as tiny 1-2" specimens.

Wels Catfish! Silurus glanis now this is just for mentioning not keeping! The Wels Catfish is one of the largest FW fish on earth, fish have been caught at over 16' all that I can think of that compares to this are the Arapaima or Gaint Pangasius Catfish of Asia, the large South American Catfish that alot of people think should not be kept in the home aquaria are minatures compared to these! If anyone ever wanted to keep these fish are pond of 40,000+ gallons for just the one fish is needed but you also have to consider your safety......

a pal of mine kept one in a tank until it became too large,he made the mistake of transfering it to his pond,while it was fine as a small fish in the tank,it soon demolished his stock of fish once placed outside,i recall the day he tried to net the fish to get rid of it ,it demolished his net as well :rofl:

you have to remember that companions must be chosen carefully!

wiser words have never been spoken

ya, Ive got a specimin about 6 inches long in about a 17 or so gallon. He seems fine with my crayfish, mainly staying under his rock cave until nightfall. I was wondering, he seems fine eating fish food and snails, but is there any special food I should give him? What will he need to keep him healthy? And are artificial plants a good idea, or will my crayfish destroy them (not really but pond question, but none the less).
Sean

The tank needs upgrading and personally I don't like to keep any fish with Crayfish. If you can upgrade to a 55g+ that is best. You can then create a great tank, caves, bogwood and real planting with some more coldwater species would be a great display. A good varied diet is needed. Meaty foods; mussels, cockles, fish, earthworms and pellets for catfish/carnivorous fish should all be accepted, smaller specimins can be fed bloodworms until they are big enough to take larger food.

Most reactions

Back