Hamsters are illegal in Australia. Why?

The pet trade is incapable of regulating itself. All it goes for is short term money, and it has caused some ecological messes. Lionfish in the Atlantic, everything in Florida canals, especially hobbyist dumped plecos, Channa snakeheads, swordtails in Canadian hot springs - the list is long. I used to see goldfish go by on a regular basis when I used to fish. They'd die in fall, but all summer they'd compete with natives, and possibly spread diseases.

The number of turtles that shocked their owners by growing and ended up freezing to death every autumn was terrible around here. But before they froze, they were quicker and faster than turtles adapted for our environment, and caused a lot of native turtle deaths over the summer. I have a now 39-40 year old red eared slider I inherited 25 years ago, and several times I was told to set it free by well meaning but quite seriously ignorant people. Freedom for them is not anywhere close to here.

I have spoken with importers who say they average 1 to 3 requests per week for snakeheads, even though they have been illegal for years. The people seeking them often go ballistic when they are refused. I once got to hear one of those tantrums when I was in the office when one guy called. Their danger to our environment is well documented and there for every intelligent person to consider, but these guys want their forbidden toys.

You don't think of a hamster as a dangerous beast, but it the right place, it can be.

The pet trade is incapable of regulating itself. All it goes for is short term money, and it has caused some ecological messes. Lionfish in the Atlantic, everything in Florida canals, especially hobbyist dumped plecos, Channa snakeheads, swordtails in Canadian hot springs - the list is long. I used to see goldfish go by on a regular basis when I used to fish. They'd die in fall, but all summer they'd compete with natives, and possibly spread diseases.

The number of turtles that shocked their owners by growing and ended up freezing to death every autumn was terrible around here. But before they froze, they were quicker and faster than turtles adapted for our environment, and caused a lot of native turtle deaths over the summer. I have a now 39-40 year old red eared slider I inherited 25 years ago, and several times I was told to set it free by well meaning but quite seriously ignorant people. Freedom for them is not anywhere close to here.

I have spoken with importers who say they average 1 to 3 requests per week for snakeheads, even though they have been illegal for years. The people seeking them often go ballistic when they are refused. I once got to hear one of those tantrums when I was in the office when one guy called. Their danger to our environment is well documented and there for every intelligent person to consider, but these guys want their forbidden toys.

You don't think of a hamster as a dangerous beast, but it the right place, it can be.
Well I think the greater problem are the idoits who throw their pets outside in the local pond or lake or canal or what have you. If everyone was a responsible pet owner there would be reduced need for such restrictions; it is even worse with people who buy fish medicine and then take them based on rumours they will cure everything from a headache to cancer so now fish meds are banned. I mean what about folks who actually need to treat their fishes. Anyway people generically are morons. Of course they do things even more moronic then set their pet free in the wild. I mean really is the issue the important of an invasive species or the irresponsible pet keeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon those who need a law to stop them taking fish medicine should be allowed free rein… survival of the fittest and all that.
Was surprised to find out you can’t keep chipmunks in the UK anymore, we had them around 20yrs ago, lovely little critters. Hand tame and would pinch your food and hide it behind the sofa cushions.

When I was a kid, the birds we saw were English House sparrows (thousands of km away from English houses) and European starlings. That population explosion has fallen back, and native sparrows and songbirds are making a comeback. The starlings are still local powers though.

When the Europeans colonized here, they renamed a lot of the country after their home towns. As soon as they'd pushed the Wolastoqiyik Nation off the land, they tried to turn it into a copy of their European home. There aren't a lot of British centres that don't have a Canadian town or region named for them, or British trees, flowers and birds. They also brought a few animals. Winter tended to weed out a lot of the invasives, but some are established. They tend to flare up and destroy before predators adapt to them and they just become chronic. Australia has that warm climate with its potential for the survival of all kinds of non native life. So the measures they take to protect their fauna are really important, and should be respected.

Even if you are responsible as a pet keeper, you only have to look at what escaped in Florida after hurricanes to see that what you do may not matter. Cute little animals can do a lot of harm, as can interesting and beautiful fishes. I'm saved from myself by brutal winters, but in southern climates, the potential for making diverse habitats into the living version of a McDonald's menu is real.

I like our weird world with all its natural differences. It's worth protecting.

The problem is that hamsters have no respect for human laws. DOH!

Plus, there was the great hamster rebellion of 1897........

The one indisputable fact is that people are basically stupid when it comes to this stuff.............

Plus, there was the great hamster rebellion of 1897........

You have to respect Hammy the Hamster. They threatened to send him to Australia after the 1897 rebellion (eco disaster averted there). They tortured him on the wheel, but he never gave names.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back