Hamburg Matten Filter

Mamashack

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Have recently discovered the existence of Hamburg Matten Filters (HMF) on my quest to find a betta-friendly filter. My betta seems to be shredding his tail in his Interpet PF mini. I have moved everything else that could have caused his tail damage, but it happened again since then so I have looked at other internal filters to try and find one with a slower output but none I've found seem to have the lower output I'm looking for.

The reason I'm interested in the HMF as opposed to a simple sponge filter is because I could install my already cycled filter sponge behind the HMF sponge to maintain the cycle.

I also have a micro tank which is currently cycling which I intend to populate with shrimp and have heard that the HMF is perfect if they are likely to breed as the fry are safe form being sucked into the filter.

Has anyone ever built/used an HMF? Any pitfalls or things to look out for? Did they work?

A lot of breeders use Hmf 's.
They don't look pretty but they do the job well, there are lots of videos on YouTube on how to make them.
There is a company that makes jet lifts for them, think it's a German company, will try & find a link

They use Poret foam. This is good stuff and expensive. I use the cube filters with their lifters which are good but the jet lifters should be even better. In the states there is only one authorized dealer, Dr, Stephan Tanner. He is a life long fish enthusiast/breeder and has a doctorate in Human Molecular Genetics.

As far as I can tell the mattenfilter is pretty decent and rarely needs to be cleaned.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/swisstropicals-jetlifter-cubelifter/

and

http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/mattenfilter/

Mattenfilter working principle

The Mattenfilter works like the soil, sand, and gravel layers along creeks and river banks. This area is called the riparian zone from the Latin term ripa = river bank. Sediments are trapped, which creates clear water, and dissolved pollutants are processed by microorganisms, which improves water quality via biofiltration.
As such, the Mattenfilter replaces the riparian zone in the aquarium. Since riparian zones work best when undisturbed, Mattenfilters should not be cleaned, unless the water flow get visibly reduced (i.e. the water level behind the sheet drops).

Given Dr. Tanner's experience in the hobby and his education, I place a lot of credibility in what he states about the matten filter (and Poret). I can speak from personal experience when I say the cube filters are excellent. I intend to use a sheet of the 30 ppi foam as the final stage in a fresh water sump going up this summer.

I've made versions with the very fine foam I could find at the time (this was about 20 years ago, so e-bay and online from Germany wasn't really an option), so I can't comment on how good they are with the foam that they use but I found even the ones I had to be a more than adequate filter for a fry tank and a generally very good biofilter. Get some black foam and they're not even all that unsightly.

Swiss Tropicals ships overseas.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

International customers: Please, email me first to receive a shipping quote for your order. I ship USPS Priority Mail International, which comes with tracking. The first pound is by far the most costly to ship (~$35), while each extra pound adds about $5 depending on country. There are size limits and the largest box possible is usually 26x20x20″ (65x50x50 cm) or 20x20x8″ (50x50x20 cm). Please, note that as a business I have to declare the merchandise value. Consequently, your country’s customs may impose import duties or taxes, which are your responsibility.

I was actually thinking about making one myself, altho those jetlifters really look quite neat. I've seen some of those youtube videos and thought I'd give it a go.
I'd found some foam on eBay, but they were unable to tell me what the porosity is and I believe 45ppi is recommended for shrimp and fry tanks
Just noticed they do HMF kits on the Swiss Tropicals Site! The one I'd need for the betta 7G tank would be $20 which at today's rate is £11.79. Think I'll get in touch to see what their postal rates to the UK are. Have to admit the appeal of extending the period between foam rinses is very attractive.
Can anyone recommend a virtually silent air pump? The ones I've got would drive me crazy before too long.
What happens to the sludge that is normally pulled into the filter? Does that just sit on the front of the foam?

Mamashack said:
I was actually thinking about making one myself,
yes. yes. yes.

No secret magic about how these work. You don't need to send a spy to steal the secret formula.

My first thought about your micro/journal tank, is that a matten filter could take up a lot of real estate.

I'm sure you've already considered that. I'm a +1 on working it out for your situation and including the process in your journal.

yinyangpete said:

I was actually thinking about making one myself,
yes. yes. yes.

No secret magic about how these work. You don't need to send a spy to steal the secret formula.

My first thought about your micro/journal tank, is that a matten filter could take up a lot of real estate.

I'm sure you've already considered that. I'm a +1 on working it out for your situation and including the process in your journal.

Funnily enough I woke up this morning thinking the very same thing, Pete!
I was looking primarily for the betta tank to stop him from damaging his tail further, but then videos on Youtube put the micro tank in my head.
Does it have to be 2" or could 1" work in a micro tank? Even then it would take up 2" in total. I could do a corner one I guess altho that would mean emptying the tank to silicone retaining bars to stop the foam from shifting. OR I could move those flat rocks to hold it in place at the bottom. A corner one would dramatically reduce the surface area of the HMF but it would still be more than is in the little filter I'm cycling at present.
Hmmm - food for thought!

1 inch has always been regarded as fine when I've encountered them, but people often use 2 inch to get the stiffness of foam, 1 inch ones move a bit. Corner ones, remember to watch out of the curve compressing the inner edge of the foam and slowing flow more than you'd planned.

You could always do an alongside sump mattenfilter, with very little pipework, but that may defeat the purpose of a small tank.

Just wondered if you'd seen this.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Davies_Sponge_Filter.html

By containing the sponge in a container, and literally any container will work, you can use any media you like, your old stuff could easily be cut up and used.  Just a thought rather than taking up a huge area of your tank, and it would do the same job.  A black drinks bottle for example would be very discrete looking.

Thanks Dr Rob - good point about the corner one. I don't have a sump just a simple internal 300L/hr power filter which is tiny but quite powerful. The flow can be adjusted to a lower one but I'm not sure how low as it doesn't say. It still looks and feels quite powerful on that lower setting

Thanks shrimply the tank had a little sponge filter with it but the air pump was so loud and got too hot very quickly. I could maybe go with a slightly bigger tank (19-24L) to accommodate the extra space needed by a HMF or I could reinstate the sponge filter swapping the cycled sponge for the existing one I guess, but I'm digressing from my original quest to find something for the betta tank (12" cube AquaStart 320) which is my primary concern at the minute.

The micro shrimp tank was just me going off at a tangent I guess but a possible future development.
I'm still looking for a silent air pump tho as that is really a deal-breaker for me if anyone can recommend one I'd be grateful.

The difference with the mattenfilter concept is that it's slow flow. Makes for a fairly useless mechanical filter but an amazing biofilter, that virtually needs no maintenance. The DIY filter there channels water, so the flow over the media is a lot faster. The HMF isn't really all that different to an undergravel filter, but it's easier to tweak.

I guess I'm struggling to see why you'd use the HMF over a sponge filter like I linked to.  Other than for increased media volume, which seems excessive in most HMFs for the tank size.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but surely whatever you use you will need either a air pump, or powerhead, so this doesn't seem a reason to choose one over the other.

In terms of flow though, you could use a larger sponge filter with a less powerful air pump, and achieve a similar effect.  I guess to me the HMF just seems to take up an awful lot of space and isn't very aesthetically pleasing, its screams breeding facility type tank over decorative home aquarium.  But I appreciate you have your reasons for choosing one.

Most reactions

trending

Back