Half Moon Aquariums

mellopete

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to these forums. My name is Pete. I have one male Betta. Currently he is living happily in a 5 gallon Fluval Chi (square) tank. I just bought a Marineland 10 gallon half moon tank for him. I was reading a book called The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking, and happened to come across this:

"A few years ago the city council of Monza, Italy, barred pet owners from keeping goldfish in curved goldfish bowls. The measure’s sponsor explained the measure in part by saying that it is cruel to keep a fish in a bowl with curved sides because, gazing out, the fish would have a distorted view of reality."

I did some searching, but couldn't find much more info. A couple people said it gives the fish headaches and makes them go blind. Now I don't know if that's true, but it got me thinking that I wouldn't want to look through curved glass for my whole life. What do you guys think of half moon tanks? Is it different than a bowl, since it isn't completely round, just a curved front? I was looking through it (it's still empty, I just got it), and it looks pretty normal, except for a slight distortion of the light's reflections.

A lot of people keep fish in tanks with curved glass; the problem with bowls is the small size and lack of filtration.

I'm sure your betta will be fine, and the larger volume of water will be much better for him.

"A few years ago the city council of Monza, Italy, barred pet owners from keeping goldfish in curved goldfish bowls. The measure’s sponsor explained the measure in part by saying that it is cruel to keep a fish in a bowl with curved sides because, gazing out, the fish would have a distorted view of reality."

Wouldn't trust an italian.. have you seen they way they build cars? :p

I don't think fish have any knowledge of what the world is supposed to look like, certainly not what the typical loungeroom environment is like anyway.

i agree with geoff naturally fish would just be in water and not be able to see the world above it ... i dont think its a problem (iv got a 20l half moon tank and my fish seem fine)

Most reactions

Back