FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishBR

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I am getting this horrible hair algae in 55 gallon (208 liters) tank:

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg

The light is a Fluval Plant 3.0 LED, with gradual sunrise from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, 100% in all colors (with the exception of blue) from 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM, and then gradual sunset from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM.

Fertilization: Thrive All in One Liquid Fertilizer (3 times/week).

I have started CO2 injection almost a month ago.

So what is this type of hair algae and how to eliminate/control it? Should I reduce the lighting period and light intensity?

View attachment 147026View attachment 147027

The light is a Fluval Plant 3.0 LED, with gradual sunrise from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, 100% in all colors (with the exception of blue) from 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM, and then gradual sunset from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM.

So what is this type of hair algae and how to eliminate/control it? Should I reduce the lighting period and light intensity?
Maybe try reducing the co2... Thats the newest thing you've started and if I'm correct, algae loves co2.

Maybe try reducing the co2... Thats the newest thing you've started and if I'm correct, algae loves co2.
Thanks, but the information available online recommends increasing, rather than reducing, CO2 levels. That would make the plants grow faster than the algae.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks, but the information available online recommends increasing, rather than reducing, CO2 levels. That would make the plants grow faster than the algae.

Any other thoughts?
Whilst you state your sunrise as starting at 1400, is the tank in a darkened basement until then? (Algae loves ambient sunlight).

Besides light duration and intensity, algae is managed by limiting nutrients.
Beating algae with higher plants only really works when those higher plants are fast growers...so all that added fertiliser will be feeding algae if the majority of your plants are slow growers.

What else is in the tank?

Any other thoughts?
Hmm... You could try decreacing lighting instead I guess... I havent had to deal with algae so the decreacing of the co2 was just an idea I had.

Please could you provide details of your CO2 injection? What kind of system are you using and how are you measuring the dissolved CO2? Does the system turn on and off in line with the lighting?

The last thing you should do in a high energy setup is limit nutrients to the extent that your plants suffer as it will give algae the opportunity to thrive

View attachment 147026View attachment 147027

Do you know what your phospate levels are? Some algae (I think this includes hair algae) love phosphate.

Whilst you state your sunrise as starting at 1400, is the tank in a darkened basement until then? (Algae loves ambient sunlight).

Besides light duration and intensity, algae is managed by limiting nutrients.
Beating algae with higher plants only really works when those higher plants are fast growers...so all that added fertiliser will be feeding algae if the majority of your plants are slow growers.

What else is in the tank?

The tank is in the living room with daylight but no direct sunlight. Here is the full setup:

Filtration: 2217 Eheim canister filter and Hydro sponge filter attached to a powerhead.
Heater: Hydor in-line heater.
Light: Fluval Plant 3.0 LED.
Substrate: Black diamond blasting sand.
Aeration on a timer when CO2 is off.

Fish: 3 Melanotaenia Boesemani “Aves Creek”; 4 Melanotaenia Parva; 5 Melanotaenia Maccullochi "Stark River"; 4 Panda Garras; 8 Glowlight Danios; and 1 Super Red Bristlenose Pleco. The fish are fed twice a day with a rotation of frozen food, flakes, and micro pellets.

Please could you provide details of your CO2 injection? What kind of system are you using and how are you measuring the dissolved CO2? Does the system turn on and off in line with the lighting?

The last thing you should do in a high energy setup is limit nutrients to the extent that your plants suffer as it will give algae the opportunity to thrive
I am reducing the intensith and the duration (1 hour less) of the lighting period.

Thanks. I start CO2 injection 1.5 hour before lights come up and stop 1.5 hour before lights go off. I use a drop checker to measure CO2, which always turns green when CO2 is in use.

Do you know what your phospate levels are? Some algae (I think this includes hair algae) love phosphate.
I haven't tested the water lately, but before CO2 started the tank's phosphate ranged from 0.6 to 0.9.

So here is the summary of the changes I made:

- Reduced the intensity and time (one hour less) of the lights. I now have a gradual sunrise from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM, 90% in all colors (with the exception of blue) from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM, and then gradual sunset from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM.

- I increased water circulation by adding a second powerhead.

Any other suggestions or takes? I will keep you all posted on the results.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back