Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
75 gallon 
3 years old
was planted, but not anymore
canister filter
12 community fish...most are 2+ years old
water tests are all neg or in ideal parameters

I had my tank fully planted but hair algae won, I just wasn't up to the task of fighting it in a planted tank....  I know I probably needed Co2 and more ferts.  But I finally came to the realization that  I wasn't cut out for it.  SOOO  I stripped all the hair algae (that I could see) and plants, and the top layer of substrate out of my tank.  Really I got all the visible algae out.  But I am not stupid enough to think that is the end of it.  I know there is spores still floating about.   So fast forward a week and said spores are starting to adhere to things.  Any advice on how to put an end to this?   I now have fake plants
sad.png
 some slate, oh and two dragon bubblers, thats about it in there.   I worry about doing too much as I just made a huge change in the environment by removing all the plants and doing a fairly large water change.   Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ok, if it was a stupid question you may smack me now!

Thanks 
Rebecca

Attachments

• fish one.JPG
    fish one.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 135
no one is going to 'smack' you lol! We've all had to battle algae of some kind at some point - it happens to even the most experienced of fish keepers. 

Algae isn't my strong point in all honesty but I'll do my best. What type of hair algae are you dealing with? Is it the black hairy kind? That's the stuff I'm battling and the only way to beat it (for me) was to add 3 true Siamese Algae Eaters. They ate the lot over a few weeks and now they are just keeping it at bay. There are various algae eating species out there but they all eat different types so they're not always the answer.

In general algae manifests when there is some kind of imbalance within the tank. Often it's the nutrients that are out of whack - get those balanced and the algae can just go away as fast as it appeared. 
You mention spores - some algae's spread by omitting spores - the black kind (black beard algae or BBA) is that kind which is what makes it difficult to get rid of once it's made it's way into the tank. You can try removing everything and cleaning well but it's persistant stuff and I've found it just comes back. That was why I chose fish to eat it instead.

That's about the limit of my knowledge now but other members will be along to help further. Good luck getting rid of it. You have my sympathies 
evilmad.gif

Now I wish I had taken a before picture...but it was embarrassing to be honest....   the algae was green, and would grow into a very very fibrous net.  once pulled out it was very tough and would adhere to anything!  Reminded me a lot of the algae ball material..   You are correct in saying my balances were off, I wanted a planted tank...but wasn't cut out for the time it takes...created a lot of problems for myself.  I tried SAE and they died every time I got them :(

Thanks for the help! 

I am drying my drift wood before I put it back in.  Here is a picture of some of the dried algae 

Rebecca

Attachments

• IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 129
ahhh that type of algae. Have you had a look in the algae section of the forum? There's a link at the top to it :)

I have read through a lot of links, and threads.  All of which say what I already know...a planted tank needs a proper balance of ferts/Co2.  My worry is, now that I have ripped so much vegetation out of the tank, and replaced water, how to get a handle on it before it starts again without sending my tank into a tailspin.    I know double dosing excel helps in a planted tank, but can I still do that?  I hate using any chemical algae control methods in my tank...but maybe I need to...but will I kill too many good things??  HEHE all the questions and unknowns.   Thanks so much for your help

I wouldn't use algae controlling chemicals either - although, like you, when my entire tank turned black and hairy I seriously considered it. But then I also seriously considered giving up fish keeping entirely too! It got me down to such a degree that I used to look at my once beautiful tank and burst into tears. I honestly do know how you must be feeling right now cos I've been there.

If it were me I'd continue as you are - cleaning the tank and decor (and substrate too) to be sure you've got rid of it (I'd possibly consider changing the substrate for brand new but that's a massive task) Once you are confident you've got all of the algae out then start re-adding some plants and adding ferts and co2 daily. I've taken my bottle of ferts - which tells me to add a certain amount weekly - and divided that figure by 7. This has given me an amount to add daily instead of adding all in one large amount once a week. By doing it this way my plants get ferts in smaller doses and it seems to work.

Another thing is I'd arm myself with an advanced test kit and test the tank water and the tap water for everything. Test to see where the nitrates are at in both tank and tap, test to see if there's any phosphate there too as that is well known for feeding algae and is what what caused my attack of BBA. I have a level of 1.6ppm coming from my tap and that's already high on the scale and once in my tank it shoots even higher causing algae and making the fish sickly and weak.

There's other nutrients that plants use that I'm not overly experienced on so I won't mention those but if you can find out where the imbalance is then you can set about balancing it out by only adding what is needed.
I use easylife Profito as it contains no phosphate (because I don't need it - it's already off the scale from the tap as already mentioned) and it contains no nitrates either as my tank tends to run with slightly high nitrates too - again, it doesn't need me to add any more. This means my plants get all the other stuff that they need 

I hope all of that made sense :)

i do have the same problem... lots of green hairy like algea.
what is the best fish or even snail to add?, tank is full of guppy and small snail

Most reactions

trending

Back