Guys. Need help here. Angelfish all of a sudden developed a sore spot.

You want to try to remove the bga every day because it can grow extremely rapidly. If you only gravel clean it once a week, the bga will usually spread over everything between gravel cleans.

Gotcha. Missed that part. It will be a bit easier to do that since I increased my ability to store my RO water. I bought additional trash cans to use for storing the water and can just let the RO run up to a float cut off.

You want to try to remove the bga every day because it can grow extremely rapidly. If you only gravel clean it once a week, the bga will usually spread over everything between gravel cleans.
Going back to my initial issue. I have 2 Amano shrimp. I was going to take them out of the tank to treat the worms but it seems the worms can infect the shrimp as well unless I read bad info. So if I pull them and by chance they have an infection it will come back once I put three back in the tank. Otherwise do I just treat with them in the tank and pray they don’t die?

I have never seen or heard of shrimp getting thread worms from fish but I suppose it's possible. Tricky one. Flubendazole will probably kill the shrimp. If you move the shrimp out and they have worms, they could reinfect the tank after you reintroduce them. If you leave them in the tank and they die, you can get new shrimp but they could be infected too before you even get them.

I'm guessing the shrimp are cheaper to replace than the medication is?
I would probably leave them in the main tank and see what happens. If they die then you can either replace them or not.

Alternatively, quarantine the shrimp while you treat the main tank with Flubendazole, and treat the shrimp with Levamisole.

I have never seen or heard of shrimp getting thread worms from fish but I suppose it's possible. Tricky one. Flubendazole will probably kill the shrimp. If you move the shrimp out and they have worms, they could reinfect the tank after you reintroduce them. If you leave them in the tank and they die, you can get new shrimp but they could be infected too before you even get them.

I'm guessing the shrimp are cheaper to replace than the medication is?
I would probably leave them in the main tank and see what happens. If they die then you can either replace them or not.

Alternatively, quarantine the shrimp while you treat the main tank with Flubendazole, and treat the shrimp with Levamisole.
Oh. Awesome idea. Thank you. The second part I mean. If levamisole can treat the shrimp separately I’ll do that.

I admire your persistence. You have been through a lot. It will get better eventually as you are armed with more information than before.

I have used Levamisole on tanks with glass shrimp in and they were fine.

Found Levamisole with the Fritz brand and got it quick. So Im treating the shrimp with that separately.
I admire your persistence. You have been through a lot. It will get better eventually as you are armed with more information than before.

Thanks. man. It has been an interesting road I've learned a ton, but still feel lost at times. I have always had the mentality that I refuse to fail so I will keep adjusting and learning.

I also have a hard time knowingly sending an innocent living creature to its demise so in this case I can't knowingly kill off my shrimp and will go the extra step to protect them and always do my best to save a fish/shrimp.

Just to keep this updated:

I'm treating tonight. My Levamisole showed up so shrimp get pulled tonight.

Also my last red shiner is now showing signs of dying as of this morning, erratic swimming and sideways. With the main tank treatment going in tonight, Im not even pulling him to quarantine. I'm treating and hoping for the best. We will see over the next few days. Once I get through this, I'm establishing a permanent quarantine tank for new fish and will keep just a few in there to keep it established and the Nitrogen cycle going.

You can keep filters going in quarantine tanks by adding some ammonia used for cycling tanks, or you take the filter media and keep it in the main display tank. then take it out and put it in the quarantine tank when you need it.

What symptoms is the red shiner showing?
Any chance of pics and videos of it?

You can keep filters going in quarantine tanks by adding some ammonia used for cycling tanks, or you take the filter media and keep it in the main display tank. then take it out and put it in the quarantine tank when you need it.

What symptoms is the red shiner showing?
Any chance of pics and videos of it?
I’ll have to get some when I get home. Wife called me at work to say he was acting odd. She said erratic swimming and swimming on its side. I’m hoping this is a fluke. I don’t get how one day things are ok then the next it can be a complete 180. Checked water parameters again last night. Still ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10ish ppm

Assuming the water quality is good, erratic swimming, swimming on its side, spinning/ spiraling through the water is all problems with the brain. With aquarium fish it's usually a bacterial or protozoan infection in the brain. These are normally caused by poor water quality and a dirty tank & filter, but can also be caused by Fish TB, which the fish get at the breeders, importers or shop (usually the breeders). If they all died the same way, and you didn't have them that long, they probably had something from before you got them and that is killing them.

I’ve had him about 10 months. 3 shiners in total. All died differently. He is basically barrel rolling through the tank. I tried to get a few pics. Yesterday he was fine. One of the other ones developed a crooked spine and sores which is why I thought TB before then the other had popeye real bad and couldn’t save him. So all a little different all of them though went through my months of bad well water my neuron and newer tetras have been solid my Pleco is also good and had him since day 1. Also just discovered I’m down to 1 shrimp but got him pulled and the tank is now starting the wormer
IMG_0608.jpeg
IMG_0609.jpeg

Last edited:
If it's rolling over, take it out and euthanise it.

They might have developed problems from the well water, which has slowly killed them off. The other fishes might be more tolerant of what was in the water but the shiners weren't as tolerant.

If it's rolling over, take it out and euthanise it.

They might have developed problems from the well water, which has slowly killed them off. The other fishes might be more tolerant of what was in the water but the shiners weren't as tolerant.
I euthanized him this morning. I also woke up to a dead dwarf Gourami. He was alive last night when I went to bed, but I could tell something was already wrong with him because of his faster breath that had been happening for a while. The remainder of my fish seem to be OK after the initial treatment so far.

Dwarf gouramis carry TB and the Iridovirus. The virus takes about a weak to kill the fish but Fish TB can cause organ failure and the fish is fine until that happens, then dies overnight. It could also have been something else besides TB but I try to avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms because of their health issues.

Most reactions

Back