guppy tail injury

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jericho

Reaction score
I think my guppies don't like each other... we have two males in a 20G together with 7 neons, 3 cories and a snail.

The tank is brand new and went through a fishless cycle. Last Friday we did a huge water change and added the fish. Water parameters have been checked every 12 hours since and remain steady at ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0 and nitrate: 5.

Yesterday after school the yellow guppy was missing a chunk of his tail: perfect bite size, so I figured they're establishing a pecking order and the red one's winning. I started treating (preventatively) for fin rot, I don't want the yellow's tail to get infected.

This morning an additional piece was missing - should I move one of them out? And which one? The victim or the thug? Or are they going to figure it out by themselves?

Thanks!

You need to have at least 5 male Guppies if you want an all male tank to work...as you've seen, if you have 2, one will always get picked on. I'd get at least 3 more males, maybe more. This will spread out the aggression. :)

And let me say, props to you. I'm so glad you took the time to read up about fishless cycling, and compatibility before you got any fish. Very nice job! :thumbs:

I've had the same problem but i'm not sure if its my other guppy or my ram thats nipping coz both guppies have bitten tails but one's is worse than the other and has started getting red bits in it and the nipping only started when i got the ram?

Don't know what to do coz my quarantine tank is occupied but he's colours are pale aswell :/

Yes, Rams can nip on Guppies too...but sometimes Guppies can nip on each other, even the less dominant one. So they are equally aggressive. If it's red though...it might be getting infected. The best thing to do would keep him in a quarantine tank, and seperate him. At least seperate him from the Ram and other Guppy, even if it's just in a breeder net. Keep the water sparkly clean, and add a pinch of salt, provided the other fish can handle it. You could also add some Melafix if you want. :)

Best of luck!

Thanks, i wasn't sure if he'd be okay in a breeders net coz it's a bit cramped but it's my only option at the moment, is there anything in my sig that wouldn't like salt?

Yes, unfortunatly. The Neons and the Bristlenose. How soon will your quarantine be cleared out? Is there any chance you could get another small tank for him?

My quarantine tank has a betta recovering from whitespot so even after i move him out i don't think the tank will be safe straight away.

i'm gonna put him in a breeding net now before i go to bed and i'll just have to keep the water clean for now

Most reactions

trending

Back