Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

As of this morning one of my guppies in the 87l tank has started swimming almost vertically, tail down, mostly in the corner of the tank but sometimes out in the middle. He seems capable of swimming normally. If one of the other fish comes over and gives him a nudge, he'll set off around the tank swimming normally. But a couple of minutes later he'll be back to his vertical swimming.

It only seems to have happened today. Tank parameters are fine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 15ish nitrate). No signs of ich or fin rot that I can see. The only thing that has changed is that I moved a red honey gourami out of that tank yesterday evening as he was going in my larger tank. They never exactly seemed like best buddies in the first place, so I don't think it should be stress from that. Given it's a movement/directional thing, I was thinking swim bladder, although that is symptom rather than a cause and it seems like he is capable of swimming normally when motivated to do so.

I would take him out and quarantine him but my quarantine tank is occupied by new arrivals for the larger tank.

Any ideas? Some pics below (apologies for shoddy camera work). The one in question should be obvious - the yellow one.

Thanks,

Matt.

PXL_20210316_130355905.MP.jpg

PXL_20210316_130432222.jpg

PXL_20210316_130517471.jpg

As far as I can tell there’s no bloating so swim bladder is likely. Move the gourami back and if it changes it’s swimming patterns then we know it was stress from that.

As far as I can tell there’s no bloating so swim bladder is likely. Move the gourami back and if it changes it’s swimming patterns then we know it was stress from that.
Thanks. I'm reluctant to move the gourami back if it can be avoided. He's settled in nicely in the bigger tank and I don't want to end up stressing him out with multiple moves.

video of fish?
Colin, thanks. I've just uploaded them. The first was from this morning with the guppy back in the corner. The second was just a few seconds later.

Thanks.

Thanks. I'm reluctant to move the gourami back if it can be avoided. He's settled in nicely in the bigger tank and I don't want to end up stressing him out with multiple moves.

Colin, thanks. I've just uploaded them. The first was from this morning with the guppy back in the corner. The second was just a few seconds later.

Thanks.

ok, and I meant there is no swim bladder. stupid auto correct.

He didn't make it unfortunately. Found him slumped on the floor of the tank this afternoon. Hoping it wasn't worms - difficult to treat others in the tank if they're infected, given most medication isn't safe for snails or shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back