Guppy problem!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

liz

Reaction score
I have an established tank (5 months) of 56 ltrs, with a pH of 8, which I know is fairly alkaline, but have been told by certain fish merchants is fine unless I have particulary sensitive fish types or wish to breed. Therefore, since I am new to this I have left the pH as it is. The nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels are all absoulutely fine, the temp is 26 degrees I have an internal filter fluval 1 which seems to work fine, and also an air stone for aeration. I have two silver sharks, 7 neon tetras and three platys, all of which are very healthy and peaceful living together. I recently (2 weeks ago) added to my population with two red lyretails, and a male and female guppy. Unfortunately, despite all necessary precautions, the male guppy died the following day or so, showing sympton of what I belive to be stress? Not eating, swimming at surface or sitting at the bottom with glamped fins. The other new arrivals settled in fine. The lyretails are still fine, but the female guppy, after two weeks of being absoulty healthy and very active suddenly disappeared! After a good look it was found hiding in one of the rock acessories. The following morning, it was found up at the surface gasping. It has not eaten, and it appears to be extremely bloated and it seems to swim with its tail down. not only this but its mouth does not look to healthy, it does not have white fluff like growths, but seems to keep it open as if it is swollen. I also seems to have a dark mass behind its swollen belly, which has got larger since I have had it. I am concerned obviously for the health of this fish, but perhaps more so of the health of my other fish which have all been so well since I have got them. I carry out partial water changes every month. I lost a collection of perfectly healthy fish last year due to an accident with the heater whilst on holiday (see newbie post!) and I do not want to lose these fish! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, liz.

Bummer when things go wrong. :=)
Right before anyone pops this into there post do you know the size Silver Sharks can reach. As they will total out grow your tank. Here's a link to info on them in the main site Silver Shark info :)

Also another Bit of info I'll like to say is. At a ph of 8.0 ammonia is really toxic if allowed to start. So make sure that the tank is always clean. Maybe even getting a fluval2. You have more fish than I would say was suitable of a tank of your size so you must be carefull of this.

I don't think the ph caused the problems, and I know Rose keeps them in high ph tanks. It may just be a stress prolem. If there is no signs of bullying thats fine, hidding place may also help. I think adding some salt to your tank may help, but something in the back of my mind tells me that the silver sharks don't like it. Rose might put me right.If anything just now take the fish out and give it a salt bath. To see if it picks up any

liz said:
I also seems to have a dark mass behind its swollen belly, which has got larger since I have had it.
This is the fry forming inside so nothing to worry about the dark mass.

I would be worried however about the white growth you see, I had a guppy die to this it doesn't seem to be contagious, i tried "bacteria control" but it did not work.

William

Hi there. To get you started I would like you to read a couple of articles. The first is on a fish disease named flexabactor.

the other is on maintaining water quality . These two articles should get you on the right start. One other thing do NOT add salt to the tank because you have Neon Tetras. They can get burned very badly by the salt. You don't need any more trouble than you have now. I'll check in later and see if you have any questions. I'm off to go back to bed (it's 6 am here...too early for me on a Saturday.) Rose 8)

Davy the salt would have been a good idea if there weren't Neons in the tank. Good try though. Rose

Thanks for all your advice. The guppy has got worse. She has, I think developed the mouth fungus. I have seperated her within the tank in a clear carrier container (I don't have a hospitalisation tank) so that I can give her a salt bath without effecting the neons, and I have put some of the plant cuttings with her to try not to stress her. I have started treating her with an antibacterial treatment, and give her water changes to compensate for filtration. All the others seem fine. I wasn't sure whether seperating her within the tank was right - thought it might stress her but she definately has white growths around the mouth and I do not want to put the others at risk. I have treated the main tank as well just in case. I hope what I have done is ok, but I don't hold out much hope for the guppy.

On a lighter note, about the silversharks. At the moment they are only about 6cm, but I am looking forward to buying a second bigger tank to accomodate them comfortably - good excuse to buy another tank I thought! A lesson to be learnt though - don't always take the fish merchants advise about a breed as gospel (I was told they wouldn't grow much bigger), research it before you buy!

Thanks again!

Liz, the salt bath won't get rid of the Flex. She needs to have a antibiotic so it can get killed. Please read that Fexibactor article. It will help with this. Rose

Most reactions

Back