Guppy In A Goldfish Bowl?

Sirron

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently made a trip to a LFS that I don't normally go to. They were selling fancy guppies in 1/2 gallon goldfish bowls. I asked if they were okay without a filter and airation they said yes. I doubt it. I was just curious if anyone has ever seen this and what the life expectancy of a guppy in a bowl would be. Not to mention they were selling for $24.99 usd.

they are just trying to get people to buy the fish as it looks a bit more fancy...i believe its not healthy for the fish, and this is all just about marketing

to be honest...i think guppies are more suited to a goldfish bowl than a goldfish....provided the bowl is kept in a warm room so that the water stays tropical...

i wouldnt personally keep fish without filtration tho

I've kept guppies at room temperature for ages with complete success, but never in anything less than 5 gallons. Also I would say no filtration is a terrible idea.

In fact it's surprising anyone keeps goldfish as room temp fish when they could have odessa barbs, danios, guppies, white cloud minnows and CAEs... (plus many more)

So the guppy could actually live in the bowl? I was thinking it would die after a week or so. I guess they are hardier than I gave them credit for. I thought the only reason bettas are kept in small bowls like that is becasue they have the ability to breath air from the top and fish like guppies, platys ect aren't because they need more air in the water. Well that's interesting...not that I would ever try it though!

Guppies can do very well in still water, TBH you would be suprised which fish can live in unheated and unifltered bowls/tanks.

It's true guppies can live perfectly well at room temperature, anything about about 16 celcius should be ok with 18 being better.

But having said that it is very easy to heat and filter a bowl, i have a 3gal heated and filtered bowl for one of my bettas.

guppys shouldnt be in anything less than 3 gallons - they can live happily without filter and heaters - but you must do daily 25% water changes

that's crazy. I have heard of outdoor ponds working. I'm in arizona so I would probably have the problem of keeping the water cool! I might try a patio pond after I move.

So the guppy could actually live in the bowl? I was thinking it would die after a week or so. I guess they are hardier than I gave them credit for. I thought the only reason bettas are kept in small bowls like that is becasue they have the ability to breath air from the top and fish like guppies, platys ect aren't because they need more air in the water. Well that's interesting...not that I would ever try it though!

At fish shows they are kept in bowls unless it's a species tank. They do fine. People started setting up on thursday, and it's saturday and the guppies are having no problems. I'm sure they are changing the water, but they look great!

I'm skeptical about filtration and heating in such a small bowl. Here it says that it will even be detrimental to guppies is gallon fishbowl. Think about it, there is going to be a huge running stream of filtered water making it impossible for guppies to normally exist. The same with heating, what if it malfunctions? Better keep a small flock but with a high amount of vegetation.

As a basic matter of principle, NOTHING should be kept in a goldfish bowl and these need to be consigned to history.
I'm wondering if the ongoing fish-keeping education of Joe and Josephine Public is starting to have an impact and stores are finding that they've got an increasing number of unwanted bowls they need to shift?*

*That reminds me...I need to wash that pig muck off the roof tomorrow. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back