Guppy Has Bubble Coming Out. . .

GuppyGoddess

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My male guppy has a bubble coming out of his vent. Is this his intestines? I'm only imagining it hurts it. . .I can't even look at him.

Any idea what is going on?

Thank you.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Anything in the bubble.
What does it normally look like when he goes to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Does he look skinny or bloated.
What do you feed the fish.
Is he still eating.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Anything in the bubble.
What does it normally look like when he goes to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Does he look skinny or bloated.
What do you feed the fish.
Is he still eating.

I haven't tested the waters today. . .
but he's in a 3 gallon - three guppies (yes, I know . . . but I've been looking for a 10-gallon for them this week!)
Normal stuff is poo with a bit of white threads (started when I began worming him)
In the center of the bubble, looks like a red dot where his anus is
He looks a bit thin. . .
***He's still eating!***
He eats either fish flakes or blood worms
Last week, I fed them Jungle Intestinal Fish food. . .

Camallanus

Symptoms:

When the fish is stationary, deep red worms can be seen protruding from the anal pore. They are only visible when the fish is still because the worms retreat into the intestine at the fish’s slightest movement. Other signs may include an inflamed and enlarged anus. In severe infestations, the fish may become emaciated and spinal curvature may also occur.

Cause:

The parasitic worms Camallanus Cotti and Camallanus lacustris. These small, livebearing parasitic worms attach to the intestinal walls and rectum with pinchers. The worm’s grip is so tight that any attempts to remove it forcibly will rip away tissue from the intestinal wall. The worm’s pinching causes ischemia (reduced blood flow) to that part of the intestine. In time, the tissue to that part of the intestine will die, at which time the worm will migrate to another part of the intestine. This causes perforations throughout the intestine, which allows other pathogens to gain entry. If the fish is not treated, either the parasite or bacterial will kill the fish. Camallanus infestations occur most often in livebearing fish such as Guppies and Mollies, though infection is possible in all fish. Camallanus infestations are contagious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium, should be treated.

Treatment:

Treat with Internal Parasite Guard, Pipzine, Disco-Worm, Trichlorfon or Fluke-Tabs as well as a medicated food to prevent a bacterial infection.

Does the intestinal fish med treat camallanous worms.

Yes, it has a minut amount of levamisole in it. I'm going to be using full-strength powder to treat the entire tank. I found a vet who'll sell it to me without an RX.

One of my other fish had signs of Camallanus, but with that fish, I just saw the red rod stick out for one day, and then after that, there were thinner tiny threads. He was removed from the tank after symtoms showed up.

With this fish in question, it's a bubble. . .my other fish never had that. Is it too late to save him?

I'm having a difficult time looking at him. :( I turned the light off to the aquarium so my son wouldn't be tempted to look in.

It depends. Once a fish is infested with internal worms they damage the organs.
I would get the levaimsole off the vet. its the best med for camallanous worms.
You also have to back up with a bacterial med.

I just euthanized him and am bawling my head out! My kids are so confused and are asking for another fish :(

Watching him like he was seemed to painful!

I put him in iced water and he struggled longer than I expected him to. :(

I just euthanized him and am bawling my head out! My kids are so confused and are asking for another fish :(

Please please don't use that method to put fish to sleep. Buy some clove oil as its much kinder and your fish would not have suffered any more than it already was.

I wouldn't advise any more fish either until you have the #29### tank set up and running.

Please please don't use that method to put fish to sleep. Buy some clove oil as its much kinder and your fish would not have suffered any more than it already was.

I wouldn't advise any more fish either until you have the #29### tank set up and running.

Okay. Will do. . .

I'm waiting on my Levamisole and will treat the two guppies I have left. Hopefully they make it. I did take my deceased guppy to a pet store to be looked at and they said it looked like a worm or that a worm tried to push it's way out. It's odd that they told me that worms are rare, but then I walked to the back of their store and found an Anglefish that appeared to have a worm hanging right from it. I'm sad about him and about to go bury him next to his first tank mate :(

While figuring that out, I still have to decided what to do with my Betta. To move him to an eclipse of the same size (3-gallon) or what. Not sure!

The iced water fine as long as you do it right.
Was there a thin sheet of ice that formed on the surface.

I would add anymore fish till the worms have been gotten rid off.

R.I.P.
Sadly fish keeping not always nice.

The iced water fine as long as you do it right.
Was there a thin sheet of ice that formed on the surface.

I would add anymore fish till the worms have been gotten rid off.

R.I.P.
Sadly fish keeping not always nice.

The water had been in the freezer for a while and I put ice cubes in before putting the fish in. Just a few days back he was on the worm treatment with Jungle's internal parasite meds. Not sure if that contributed to the problem and made the worms push stuff out.

I put Levamisole in the tank with my two remaining guppies around 2 pm and now at 8 pm still nothing is coming out of the fish. Should I see worms by now or will it take longer? I don't have a scale to weigh out the dosage, so I sort of estimated.

If only one of the guppies lives, should I just let him live in the tank alone or would you suggest another kind of fish to keep him company? I'm not wanting to get another guppy due to hearing about how easily they become sick through inbreeding, etc., however, there is room for one more smallish fish.

Check the substrate for dead worms.
You will know if the med worked as the fish should start to gain weight and look more healthy.

I vacuumed 1/3 of the substrate, checked the syphened water and as far as I could tell, there aren't any worms!

The fish that had the obvious rod had it must have layed eggs that haven't infected the fish who are in the tank. . .If so, I may have to repeat this all a few more times!

Today I added another small dose to the tank and covered it with paper towels so the light won't destroy the Levamisole.

Get back to the board when you have finished using the med.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back