Guppy Harassing Platys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hughesy

Reaction score
Iv got 5 guppies and 3 platys.

Did have 4 platys until 1 dies. However 1 of the guppies a small light blue one if constanstly harassing a yellow platy - is this normal?

Will he hurt the platy?

Also have i got enough platys or not? He is always hiding and i often feel he looks lonely? anyone know?

If it's a female Platy, yes, it's quite normal. Male Guppies will try to mate with anything and everything.

How many males and females do you have of each?

The fins on the bottom of Platies. IF it's a female, the fin is rounded, if it's a male, then it's pointy, sticking toward the tail.
For guppies, if the fins are big or colorful, it's probably a male. Female guppies, from my experience, don't usually have much color.

gonopodium.PNG

Gonopodium+in+male+live+bearers+such+as+platies+and+mollies.jpg

It is generally recommended to have at least 2 females for every male when dealing with live bearers... OR, go with single gender tanks. Having male only tanks makes sure you don't get fry. Female only tanks means you are likely to get fry as they are almost always pregnant - a single encounter with a male could mean up to about 6 months of fry, on a 28 day rotation...

When keeping males only, its always good to keep a significant group... never just 2. Because they will work to create a hierarchy... but just 2 usually means one will bully the other.

Generally speaking, as long as there are other females around... this one male will be distracted enough to give her some breaks. But, having decor that she can hide in from time to time is also recommended.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back