Guppy Aggression?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Sir Guppy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ever since I bought these two male guppies they have been consistently chasing each other.
Is this male dominance, something normal, or something else?
One of their fins is ripped a little. The previous tank I contained them in had artificial plants in it with sharp edges, which might be the culprit.
IMG_3174.jpeg
IMG_3175.jpeg

Sometimes 2 male guppies can be territorial with each other, causing them to be aggressive.

How big is the tank?
Is it cycled?
What are the water parameters?
Is there a filter and heater?
What is the temperature of the tank?

With my guppies there seems to be a difference when they were being aggressive, then actually trying to breed with each other. Guppies only have 2 things on their mind: food and females. When they can't find females, they will try to breed with each other.

Can you try to get a video of them chasing each other?

The tank is a 26 gallon, containing a heater and a sponge and filter. *edit: sponge filter
The tank has been running since September 18, 2023.

Last time I tested water permitters they where:
pH: 7.7 Ammonia: 0.2ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: about 10ppm.

The temperature is about 25 degrees Celsius .

Sorry I can’t post a video! I spent around a hour to figure that out…however I can provide some photos and a description: following each other around the tank, sometimes circling and flashing their fins.
img_3185-png.329114

IMG_3196.png

Attachments

• IMG_3185.png
    IMG_3185.png
    693.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3186.png
    IMG_3186.png
    710.7 KB · Views: 7
When two or more males are kept together can be a harmonious combo. But dominance can also occur and when that happens, they can chase or fight eachother. You'll never know beforehand. But is it a normal thing? When dominance occurs, the answer will be: Yes.

Most reactions

Back