Guppies With Flat Belly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have about half a dozen guppies in my tank that i have successfully brought on from fry.

I have two in particular that have a completely flat belly and a lot of the time lie flat out on the ornament in the tank, see pics below.

I'd say they don't seem to grow much in comparison with the others, and the others have a "normal" guppy shape. So it's just these two that lay on the rock.

Is there something wrong with them? Is it a deformity?

It's very likely to be a congenital problem with their swim bladder. Nothing you can do for them, but there's no evidence that it's painful, and the fish don't know any different, so as long as they're eating and otherwise healthy then I'd leave them be (although you should try and make sure they don't breed),

I have some about the same size in my tank, and 2 or 3 do the exact same thing, they don't seem very active until it comes to feeding time, then they all eat just fine, haven't lost any as yet, tend to get a small fraction of each brood that do it, I have no idea why

fluttermoth said:
It's very likely to be a congenital problem with their swim bladder. Nothing you can do for them, but there's no evidence that it's painful, and the fish don't know any different, so as long as they're eating and otherwise healthy then I'd leave them be (although you should try and make sure they don't breed),
Thanks for getting back to me. I done a search on Google for guppies with flat bellies, but it didn't yield any answers.

They both seem to be eating as normally as the other guppies and they are both equally as active.

Is there any indication on lifespan of these guppies? Should they grow normally? It appears that the peach/lemon one in the pictures isn't growing much at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back