Guppies, Guppies, Guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

darkwolf29a

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a pregnant female, I bought her that way. So, now I'm trying to figure ways to make her comfy until the fry arrive, and I have to move stuff.

Should the water be a bit salty/brackish? I'm not sure...But, I'm trying to figure stuff out.

Any help/web sites/etc would be cool

Keep her in warm, clean water. It does not have the be brackish water. Give her plenty of room and places to hide away, even if there is nothing to hide from and she will be happy. The hiding places will give the fry places to escape to as well.

Keep her in warm, clean water. It does not have the be brackish water. Give her plenty of room and places to hide away, even if there is nothing to hide from and she will be happy. The hiding places will give the fry places to escape to as well.
nothing left to add :good:

watch for her loosing her appitite and slugish movement as well as going square, then be on the look out for fry :good:

I think it might be soon... or else something els is happening that I don't want to contemplate. Right now, she is resting near the bottom of the tank, surrounded by an airstone and fake shells. She is just sitting there.

She still looks healthy, so I'm not suspecting anything.

Any thoughts?

I guess her breathing was ok. She does appear a little uncomfortable, I guess. Heck, I would be too carrying that weight. LOL

I don't think she ate much at all yesterday.

I'm at work, so I can't give you exact stats on the water. But, they were within normal ranges this weekend. I haven't checked it since Sunday. Normally, I check twice a week, and today would be that second time. LOL

Decor...I've got ghost shrimp and a pleco in there with them, so there's plenty of room. I have a bunch of plants, working on more. Also, I put a huge mass of stones on one side, trying to add as much air space in there as possible for the shrimp, but they don't seem to like it, so I think it's prime fry real estate.

There's various shells, real(Boiled for an hour before going in there - a month ago) and plastic ones. In short....there's plenty of hiding places, and really nothing to eat them, other than the other guppies in the tank.

i think if i remeber shells effect the pH of the water, but i could be wrong, never had a guppy do this before so unsure of what to suggest

So far, the PH has been fine. Or, I should say...it hasn't been outside the normal range.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to find out.

My guppy died. :( I found her on the bottom, surrounded by shrimp when I got home. :crazy:

So...I'm changing some stuff to make it more guppy friendly. Also, I'm setting up my 10 gallon tank as seperation tank, instead of the sump. I'll still have moss in there, but now it can be food, etc for babies. I really want to get another female guppy, but I'll wait a bit and let things calm down, do a fe water changes and let the world slide by for a few days. Maybe this weekend, after all the cleaning is done.

I spent last night tearing down the sump, getting the tank clean again, moving some stuff around. I still have to lose a filter, since I'm filtering for 160 gallons right now. :crazy: I'll lose the HOB tonight, and let the canister do it's thing.

I also have to build a sponge filter for the 10 gallon, which I'll get done tonight too.

So, when I get another pregnant female...at least she'll have some place quiet and serene to go to.

Most reactions

Back