Growing Algae (fast) On My Lava Rock

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
I have got some spare lava rock and i want to "fast track" lots of algae growth on the 5 or 6 peices of lava rock i have and then put some in my Malawi/Mbuna set-up for them to graze on. I was thinking i would "rotate" the lava rock, put some in, when they eat it enough to really reduce the algae or the algae dies form lack of light in tank (unlikely though?), take it out, put another bit in and vice versa, so there is a continuous algae source to graze on.

I dont have my lights on in my tank for much more than 4 or 5 hrs a day, partly that helps me keep the ocean rock fairly clean, which i personally want to maintain. I do feed my Mbuna a variety of vegetables and veggy based foods, BUT i wanted to try this....

If i put Lava Rock in a clear container full of water and just leave it by my window, i have 2 questions......

1. Shall i add some of my Seachem liquid fertiliser and will it speed up algae growth on the Lava Rock?

2. Does this container need any kind of water movement? It will just be lava rock and water. Does it matter if the water is completely still for up to a week or so (or longer)?

Not sure how long it will take (or even if it will be worth it) growing this algae on the Lava Rock and then putting it my tank for the Mbuna to nibble on?

Any feedback or tips?

I remember reading about hillstream loach setups a while back. What the guy used to do was have a selection of nice rounded river stones in a tank outside in his garden, growing algae. He'd then swap them into his tank. As far as I'm aware he just left them without doing anything special.

One thing I'd suggest though is whatever you put them in, use water from your tank to try to speed things up. Direct sunlight is a good thing here :)

cheers, didnt think of the garden, but right next to a big window should do the trick also i guess, thanks for feedback

The garden might enourage insects etc that you might not want in the tank, windowsill should suffice I'd think!

The garden might enourage insects etc that you might not want in the tank, windowsill should suffice I'd think!

Yes mate, true.

Good luck with moving those community fish on!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back