Grey bichir malachite blue

Rook426

Reaction score
Need to treat for white spot got the lovefish stuff from pets at home as was recommended for scaleless fish. Just been informed that my bichir might have a reaction to it. Active ingredients of the bottle are per 100ml formaldehyde 5,000mg malachite green 47mg. It's a 500l tank so got 50ml dose of this stuff.

I can't offer info on Birchirs reacting to medications because I have never kept them. But if you raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, the temperature will kill whitespot and you won't need medication.

If you are going to raise the temperature do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean before increasing the temperature. And clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

If you have to raise the temperature more than 3 degrees, increase it a couple of degrees one day, and a couple more the next day.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when increasing the temperature because warm water will reduce the oxygen levels in the water.

--------------------------
Malachite green will kill whitespot and any other protozoans in the water. If the directions on the packaging have a dose rate for scaleless fishes like catfish and loaches, then it should be fine for the Birchir.
If there are no directions for scaleless fishes then use it at half strength. However, if you are using heat to treat the whitespot, do not add any medication.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. And clean the filter before treating.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Water change in progress, sand vacuumed amd filter fine, carbon amd clearmax removed before treatment commenced. Temp currently at 27dc after raising. Air stone in and the fx4 outlet disturbs surface enough. Would 30dc temp be OK for dwarf gourami, pleco, Cory, bichir, severam amd electric blue acara?

As I'm here listing my failures with this tank. Has anyone ever seen this before?
DSC_1687~2.JPG

...Would 30dc temp be OK for dwarf gourami, pleco, Cory, bichir, severam amd electric blue acara?
Yes 30C is fine for gouramis, plecos, severums and electric blue acaras. Corydoras should be fine because it is only for 2 weeks, but they won't like it. If the Cories start to stress or die, then remove the Cories and put them in a separate tank and let their tank water temperature come down, then treat them separately with a medication.
The birchir should be ok at 30C.

-------------------------
How long have you had the dwarf gourami for?
Dwarf Gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) regularly carry two main diseases, the Iridovirus and Tuberculosis. That looks like the Iridovirus.

There is no cure for TB or the Iridovirus, however the fish can sometimes tolerate and even survive the virus. You try to avoid stress, keep the water really clean, the temperature stabile, and feed the fish up with lots of good food and vitamin supplements. Then treat the symptoms that might appear (usually bacterial infections).

If the gourami dies, do not buy any more dwarf gouramis unless you get them from a local breeder. Any dwarf gouramis from Asia can be infected with the Iridovirus and it is in your tank now so new gouramis will also catch it.

Had her for couple of months. Back story is I adopted this tank as it was in poor condition. No working filter,no working heater, poor lighting, tests all in the red and lots of algie. Bought led lighting, cover ornaments and plants, fx4 filter, two heaters and when it settled restocked with original fish then slowly started adding stock. Gourami were one of the first. They started turning up with strange marks on their fins. Turned out one of the severums was going for them. Lost 2 gourami and had to return the severum. Noticed one of the blues had what appeared to be a fat lip (the 1pictured) Thought she had been run into something by the severum but ive noticed most of the blues started getting them. Tested ammonia and found nothing and had had water tested in store to rule out poor quality as it had had a spike that was a devil to fix. Water test was fine. Gourami were eating and behaving normally so kept an eye on it. Noticed signs of white spot on the severum so started treatment and then the gourami took a turn for the worse. I net floated her and gave her a dip in tonic this morning as soon as I got back from buying some from store. No improvement. Seems like I can't do right for doing wrong with this tank.

On a side note I've bought some frozen food ensured with garlic as I've heard the garlic will maybe help there immune system.

Dwarf Gouramis are just crap fish these days. They are so inbred they rarely live that long and most of them come from the same breeders in Asia whose ponds are contaminated with TB and the Iridovirus. Most people that get dwarf gouramis usually have the same issue within 6 months of getting the fish.

Garlic can help some species but I don't use it for fish because it can poison them if they get a lot. Onions and garlic have a chemical in them that is pretty toxic to most things including people and in large doses can cause problems. However, considering the fish and what it already has, it might help. Refined garlic extract is safer than raw garlic.

Fish, Bird or Reptile vitamins are useful and so is plant matter. Orange squash, pumpkin, carrot and dark green leafy vegetables like spinach can be partially boiled and cut up fine and fed to the fish several times a day. The orange coloured foods have Beta-carotene in, which is an antioxidant and the body uses it to help fight disease. The fish also gets vitamin A & C from these foods, both of which help fight disease.

If you get a vitamin supplement, try to get a dry powder supplement and keep it cool and dry. Then sprinkle some over frozen food and mix it in, then feed to the fish. Do this several times a day.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back