🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

superman1

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hello

i recently got about 20kg of live rock for free........ yes i did say for free

and it has green grass vegetation kind of stuff over it. i would like ro remove this all before it goes into my tank

how do i go about doing this. ive been told that magnesium in the water should do this.. is this right and could someone please explain the process please... thanks

im not too sure about raising the magnesium but that only works if its bryopsis algae, you may have hair algae in which case you should pick as much of it off as possible and rinse in salt water before putting into your tank.

or

if you already have live rock in your tank and are just adding to it then you could put the live rock in heated salted water with a powerhead or 2 and keep in complete darkness for a month or so and this should starve the algae and kill it off.

im not too sure about raising the magnesium but that only works if its bryopsis algae, you may have hair algae in which case you should pick as much of it off as possible and rinse in salt water before putting into your tank.

or

if you already have live rock in your tank and are just adding to it then you could put the live rock in heated salted water with a powerhead or 2 and keep in complete darkness for a month or so and this should starve the algae and kill it off.

so if it is bryopsis algae do i just overdose it will magnesium or how do i sort that out.

Raising mg will help kill off algae but still needs some manual removal as well..my hair algae died off at 1500ppm but had to sit at 1700ppm for a month or so with a clean up crew eating it plus me removing it. At these levels the algae finds it hard to return..
Try scrubbing the lr with a new tooth brush and rinsing off excess in bucket of salt water first...

Bryopsis looks more like a little fern than grass...

Raising mg will help kill off algae but still needs some manual removal as well..my hair algae died off at 1500ppm but had to sit at 1700ppm for a month or so with a clean up crew eating it plus me removing it. At these levels the algae finds it hard to return..
Try scrubbing the lr with a new tooth brush and rinsing off excess in bucket of salt water first...

Bryopsis looks more like a little fern than grass...

this is the type of grass

Attachments

• 17072009063.jpg
    17072009063.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 60
20kg for free; awesome mate :D

looks like seaweed to me, but im sure one of the more able people will give you a definite answer :)

surely you could just pluck it off if you dont like it? :)

Bagu

yeh im trying to avoid plucking it off as it will take a while and dont want it to come back.. well actually its a little over 20kg..

will probally sell some of it. or just try to make a big scape..

hello yeh the link worked.. very good site i must say. thanks for the info.

at least i now know what to do.

thanks much appreciated.

Yep emerald crab will eat it - Trod had loads of it and he chomped away - by the way what is it, I have some in the nano and was going to try and get rid of it before it went to YF

Seffie x

:fish:

Yep emerald crab will eat it - Trod had loads of it and he chomped away - by the way what is it, I have some in the nano and was going to try and get rid of it before it went to YF

Seffie x

the closet match i could find was CHAETOMORPHA
Also known as spaghetti algae, chaeto is a wiry algae that grows like a big clump of Brillo pad. It is one of the most highly desirable macro alga for use in refugiums.

but i am just going to pull it out by hand and hope any that does return the crabs will sort out.

Thanks guys - I thought it was a good guy and an algae, but just never knew which one, it doesn't grow fast and I quite like it :good:

think I will wait to see if YF wants it or if he is going to get an emerald crab

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back