Green Dust Algae + Diatom Algae

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Some tank info:
- 28L
- Shrimp + snails in there at the moment, but will soon have a betta as well
- EasyCarbo and trace nutrients daily, but intend to order some TNC complete very soon
- Running since October but had an ammonia/nitrite spike last weekend after a large re-scape which I now believe to have gone
- 11W lighting. Sometimes on for 6 hours, sometimes up to 14 (probably not so good for the plants in there though)

I've had what I believe to be green dust algae for a couple of months now on the sides of my tank and would really like to get rid of it. I decided to leave it as I heard it often goes away on its own, but this hasn't happened in my case. Any ideas as to the cause and how I can get rid of it long term? I've checked out an article on theplantedtank.co.uk which said about low CO2/low nutrients - are these possible causes in my case?

I've also recently had a growth of diatom algae on the filter + tank sides, pretty much since the recent ammonia/nitrite spike (which I believe, from a thread I posted about it, was due to moving waste etc in the tank and thinking about it, adding 2 more snails probably didn't help). Should it stop growing in time now that the spike seems to be over?

Oh, and I know this should really be in the invertibrates section, but I bought some assassins last saturday but since then one snail seems to have attatched itself to the shell of the other. I thought at first they'd be mating, but surely not for nearly a week? Sometimes the 'bottom' snail is crawling around while the other is just 'stuck' to its back :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back