Green algae has attacked my favorite plant

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Actually, I did trim off the ends of the ML today, they looked the worse. I continue to think my primary issue is too much light and even though I have a nice Fluval Aquasky, Iā€™m not using it properly. How many hours a day do you keep your plants under the LED?
You cannot harm plants with too much light. All the plants in your tank are found in lakes and pond wthat are blasted with full sun. On a clear day at noon light levels are about 20,000 lumens. Most rooms in homes are at about 1000 lumens. Heat is the primary killler of terrestrial plants. But in an aquarium your plants are surrounded by a vert effective coolant, WATER.

Other than heat the biggest cause of plant damage is a nutrient deficiency. Meaning of the 14 nutrients plant need to grow something is missing. Fertilizer could address that is the fertilizer has everything g your plants need. Many fertilizer don't have calcium and magnesium which are plant nutrients. The manufactures assume you have them in your tap water. If your water is soft you might be short on one of the two nutrients you could test this with a GH test kit or you could buy a GH booster. Increasing your water harness by 1 degree (Which is not a lot) would be snout to resolve a calcium or magnesium deficiency. Note the GH test kit tells you the overall level of Calcium and magnesium. But will not generate a number for just calcium or just magnesium . When most people have a GH issue it is typically one or the other but not both.

Gourami love algae. I have on 125 gallon with a snakeskin gourami a moonlight gourami a gold gourami and a smattering of Honey Grammys and anytime I have a plant that is riddled with algae (usually anubias) I just put it in the tank and they clean it off for me better than any snail, pleco or otto could. Bonuses they just eat the algae, or duckweed I would have duckweed in one of my tanks that would explode on occasion and I would clean the tank off and throw all the duckweed in the 125 and that was the only tank that I couldn't keep duckweed in because the Gourami would eat it all to the last little plant.
Well, maybe that explains why I donā€™t have an algae issue in my tank that has silver gouramis. I do have a Rhino pleco in there, but I think that that is not an algae eating species.

Iā€™ve thought of tossing duckweed into my big goldfish tank, but it has an elaborate 12 compartment sump system which is enough of a pain to clean as is. Iā€™d be afraid to gunk it up with duckweed.

You cannot harm plants with too much light. All the plants in your tank are found in lakes and pond wthat are blasted with full sun. On a clear day at noon light levels are about 20,000 lumens. Most rooms in homes are at about 1000 lumens. Heat is the primary killler of terrestrial plants. But in an aquarium your plants are surrounded by a vert effective coolant, WATER.

Other than heat the biggest cause of plant damage is a nutrient deficiency. Meaning of the 14 nutrients plant need to grow something is missing. Fertilizer could address that is the fertilizer has everything g your plants need. Many fertilizer don't have calcium and magnesium which are plant nutrients. The manufactures assume you have them in your tap water. If your water is soft you might be short on one of the two nutrients you could test this with a GH test kit or you could buy a GH booster. Increasing your water harness by 1 degree (Which is not a lot) would be snout to resolve a calcium or magnesium deficiency. Note the GH test kit tells you the overall level of Calcium and magnesium. But will not generate a number for just calcium or just magnesium . When most people have a GH issue it is typically one or the other but not both.
I donā€™t find what you say to be factual. Many plants thrive far away from the surface, and the full effect of sun is compromised by several factors. But I really donā€™t care to debate it. Nothing less than references from accredited sources like leading university, researchers or scientific journals would sway my opinion one way or the other.

Plants can be sun burned by too much light. Some like more light, others less. Same as terrestrial plants, hence the full sun, partial, shade designations.

Plants can be sun burned by too much light. Some like more light, others less. Same as terrestrial plants, hence the full sun, partial, shaded I totally agree.

Yep, thatā€™s the truth and nothing but the truth. I have had the biggest problems with algae on the tanks near the window.

Most reactions

Back