Gourmet Menu For Platies/guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I'm shopping for fish food in anticipation of getting my first platies & guppies.  Does this sound okay for a menu plan?

Daily
Aquarian/Tetramin Tropical Fish Flakes

Twice weekly
Freeze dried bloodworm or brine shrimp
OR
Piece of vegetable (cucumber, courgette, defrosted peas)

Once monthly
Live food (daphnia/bloodworm or whatever they sell in the LFS)
OR
Whatever bugs happen to be swimming in my pond outside

Questions
1) is it worth getting the colour enhancing fish flakes?
2) Do I need to microwave vegetables before putting in the tank?

You forgot to add platy and guppy fry every 4-6 weeks to your menu!

I don't usually do anything to cucumber before feeding it to the fish, but with peas, swede and carrot, I always nick a couple of pieces from what's been cooked for our dinner (note that we don't boil our veg in salted water). It does need to be cooked first.

the_lock_man said:
(note that we don't boil our veg in salted water). It does need to be cooked first.
LOL! No butter, brown sugar, or salt for the fishes!

I giggle, but it's a great point though. I've had people do that.

They won't like my honeyed parsnips then I guess :)

I've read that fish like their veggies 'blanched'.  I'm not too familiar with this but I assume it means they prefer their food undercooked.  I tend to steam most of my veg so I can just lift some out of the pan half-way through cooking.  I only salt potatoes.

Since the plants we eat are not aquatic they tend to be more than a fish can digest. From what I have been told the reason for blanching is to soften and break down the fibers which are otherwise more than a fish's digestive system can manage. I suppose there are other reasons but that's the one I've heard most often.

Most reactions

trending

Back