Gourami - Snakeskin

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Reteos

Reaction score
Common Name/s: Snakeskin gourami.

Scientific name: trichogaster Pectoralis

Family: Osphronemidae

Origin: Thailand and Cambodia to southern Viet Nam, Malaysia, Mekong basin in Laos, Malakka, and the Chao Phraya basin.

Maximum Size: 6 - 8" (15 - 20 cm) when kept in captivity

Care: They are very adaptable, tolerating most water conditions, but they do like to be warm, in the 26-28C (79-82F). Aquarium layout & size: Because of the fishes eventual size they need to be housed in a fairly large aquarium, 25-30 gallons is suitable. As they are not quarrelsome they may be kept with most fish species, however, beaware that some individual fish have been known to show aggression towards smaller species.

They like to be kept in groups when they are younger and even then they are timid often darting around at the slightest provokation. after they reach about 4" they become alot more bold. at this time if you have a small tank it is best to remove some of the group at this point. they are peacefull fish and make great companions not only for the comunity aquarium but also with larger more aggresive species such as American cichlids. Although the largest growing member of the Trichogaster genus this is also one of the most peacefull Gouramis, although they can defend themselves.

Feeding: Most aquarium foods are accepted, such as flakes, pellets and frozen foods, mine liked to clear the tank of Algae which is particularly usefull.

Sexing and Breeding: The male is slimmer than the female and has a longer an more pointed dorsal fin. The female is also slightly less colorful.
like other Gouramis the Snakeskin is a bubblenest builder and is bred in the typical gourami fashion.

Comments: These fish are beautiful and peacefull and have very interesting mannerisms and habbits, they arent commonly as available as the other gourami species because they are somewhat uncolourful in comparison. but if you find regular gouramis too common or small and would like to try something different, or perhaps you are looking for a companion to grow on with cichlids then the Snakeskin gourami is right up your ally. I kept mine in a group of 6 with them all growing at a steady rate, i kept the smallest one which is now 5"-6" meaning that the fish put on about 1" per month give or take so not the slowest of growers.

Femalegourami.jpg

Malegourami.jpg

Gouramidifferation.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back