Gourami Breathing ... Too Fast ?!

lili70

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got my first dwarf gourami. My other fishes are betta and neons. None of those open and close the mouth like gourami.
Is this continuous open-close mouth normal or is accelerated breathing. Otherwise he looks fine but not going to the surface like a betta. He tends to swim around and explore the hidding places and pecking the plants.
I am about to move him in a hospital tank and give him some antibiotics .... but I would like to know what's wrong first.
The water param is fine from amoinia and nitrite pov.
Help me a little here ....
Thanks.

Hi lili70, I think this is normal behavior for just being introduced to a new environment. Is it eating ok? Does it come to the surface for food? He/she may tend to hide out around the bottom for 3-4 days. Until he/she finds the territory he wants to stake out as his own. It may not get along with the Betta! My personal experience is that the Dwarf Gourami is the most aggressive of the captive Gourami family, mostly towards it's own kind. But, ironically the Gourami is actually a very social creature. I personally would keep a minimum of three. 1-Male, 2-Females.

Hi lili70, I think this is normal behavior for just being introduced to a new environment. Is it eating ok? Does it come to the surface for food? He/she may tend to hide out around the bottom for 3-4 days. Until he/she finds the territory he wants to stake out as his own. It may not get along with the Betta! My personal experience is that the Dwarf Gourami is the most aggressive of the captive Gourami family, mostly towards it's own kind. But, ironically the Gourami is actually a very social creature. I personally would keep a minimum of three. 1-Male, 2-Females.

Thank you.
Yes, he is always hungry. He is comming to surface but in a hurry. I think you are right he might be scared still.
Don't worry about bettas. They are in their own tank.
I cannot keep 3 for now but .... I'm planning a 30 gal.
tahks.
L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back