Gourami And Discus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mswagnon

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey, 

So, I found a beautiful Gourami, pure white, not sure which strain? But I loved it. I was also told and have read that gourami are best kept as the only gourami in a tank? I was wondering how they fair with Discus, or what everyone's opinions would be. I was just thinking how beautiful this fish would pop with multiple colored discus, and then one single white gourami. I know there are a couple strands of white discus that are beautiful, but it is the difference in the body shape that I like as well. 

Thanks. 

I can't say much, but I have heard discus are very needy fish. Keeping them and a fairly easier fish may result in some problems.

As you can see, I know nothing about discus! :lol:

LyraGuppi said:
I can't say much, but I have heard discus are very needy fish. Keeping them and a fairly easier fish may result in some problems.

As you can see, I know nothing about discus!
laugh.png

Haha, it is okay. Thank you for your help though, LyraGuppi. Yes, Discus are very needy fish, and they do require very specific water parameters. From my understanding, the gourami and the discus live in similar pH levels, and the gourami will do fine in my tank with a pH of 6.5. It is the temperament that worries me. Will I be able to house them together, or will this be an issue? Also, if I house just one (as I have read over and over that gourami can be aggressive toward their own), will it be okay with the discus, or will it become too shy. 

If I cannot. it is no big deal, my discus are my focus, but if I can add him to my tank, I feel he would be a beautiful addition. 

Not knowing the species is the concern. If it is a kissing gourami then you shouldn't add it because this species is very aggressive. They often are white.

A photo of the gourami in question would be of immense help. If it is a kissing gourami it will be not a good idea, if it is a moonlight gourami can be. If it is an albino giant gourami then even worse. Like mentioned above, discuss have very specific demands

Platinum gourami?

I have a pair of the above in with angels, all get along no probs at all

Discus should not be combined with gourami.  Don't risk it.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back