Got Used Filters, Empty Them Out?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phantomlink

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I picked up 3 Eheim Pro2 2028 filters yesterday with plans to use all three later that day. I setup the stand and hooked a filter into the 35g it was going to but when I went to put my new 75g on its stand, I learned the stand I had from a previous tank I bought was off balance, and too long. Going for better support/look ( rusted metal stand is ugly ) I've decided to go and buy a similar stand as the one with the 35g.

Its already been 24 hours since the other two canisters have been unplugged, and I wont be able to hook them into an aquarium until Wednesday. Should I leave the water in them for a few more days, or should I empty them out? I know the bacteria hasnt been fed in a day, but I dont know if something bad could grow inside the filter after 4 days of still water. I dont know if I should empty it out and lose all my bacteria, or keep the water in it for now and let some of it die, but hopefully keep a small colony to help recycle it to its desired stocking level

I picked up 3 Eheim Pro2 2028 filters yesterday with plans to use all three later that day. I setup the stand and hooked a filter into the 35g it was going to but when I went to put my new 75g on its stand, I learned the stand I had from a previous tank I bought was off balance, and too long. Going for better support/look ( rusted metal stand is ugly ) I've decided to go and buy a similar stand as the one with the 35g.

Its already been 24 hours since the other two canisters have been unplugged, and I wont be able to hook them into an aquarium until Wednesday. Should I leave the water in them for a few more days, or should I empty them out? I know the bacteria hasnt been fed in a day, but I dont know if something bad could grow inside the filter after 4 days of still water. I dont know if I should empty it out and lose all my bacteria, or keep the water in it for now and let some of it die, but hopefully keep a small colony to help recycle it to its desired stocking level
why not just hook them both up to a spare tank if you have on and put some ammonia in the tank and just have an empty tank with just the 2 filters and dosing ammonia until you get set up.

The only empty tank I have is the 75 gallon they will be going into, but until Wednesday it has no stand so its sitting on the floor, and these filters are almost as tall as the tank is it wouldnt really work out. Plus emptying the tank which is on the ground and my sink is way above it in height will be hard, even with a python probably. I've already asked about overdosing ammonia in a smaller tank when I was prepping my filters for the 125 gallon and I was told the filters would grow the wrong bacteria if I do levels of ammonia that high

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back