Good Tankmates for Angels

Vam

Reaction score
I'm thinking about establishing a 30 or 40 gallon TALL. How many angels would I be able to comfortably put in a tall tank of this size and what would be some good tank mates?

I'd like to keep some danios/lemmon chichlids and others.

Avoid getting fin nippers like tiger barbs as they love to nip on Angels, Other cichlids would do find and especially the festivum flag cichlid as it likes to swim in the surface like the Angels..Oh yeah I heard that you shouldn't mix cichlids from different continents..

I would only put a pair of angels in a 30, but maybe that's just me...

beyond that, Bolivian Rams (Microgeophagus altispinosa) is a very nice fish and you could have a pair of them and maybe a pair of German Blue Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi) -- but both of those species are territorial during breeding, so it depends on the footprint of your tank.

I would *NOT* add N. leleupi to your tank (lemon cichlids), these are african cichlids and have special requirements which will make your other fish unhappy, or vice versa.

I also agree that barbs are a bad idea with angels, the angel just isnt fast enough...

This is something of a controvercial topic, but you may also want to try Neons if you introduce them when the angels are relatively small. Neons are an angel fish's natural food, so watch them carefully. They do fine in my tank with a 4.5" Angel. I tried cardinals first (they are bigger, so less likely to become lunch) but they are much less hardy and get stressed easily. If you go this route, I would get 6+

You might go with some algae eaters, like a bristlenose pleco, an SAE or two and a couple Ottos. (but make sure you have algae or suppliment their diet or the pleco and ottos may starve to death...SAEs will eat flakes, brine shrimp, whatever)

Cheers!

i had danios tetras in my 25 with my angel and they all got along with no fin nipping

I was told not to keep neons and angels together.

The LFS is keeping puffers with angels and claim they have been raised together since being very young. While there I noticed the puffers were nipping at the angels a little bit and I pointed that out to the employee there. They said that the angels were the only fish that will tolerate the puffers 'nervous' behaviour. I'm kinda skepetical!

What about Gourmais, female bettas? I have a male betta in my 10 gallon community tank and I would like to have a female or two in another tank for times when I'd like to breed them. Can you keep female bettas with angels?

I'll scrap the lemon ideas, any other suggestions?

I have a 42 gal. hex tank which is also tall and I have three angels with several other community fish.

You can see what I have in my signature and the angels are not bothered by any of the fish and only chase each other on occasion...basically a very peaceful tank. By the way, the neons were there before the angels which are at this point too small to eat them.....we will see down the road.

Good luck!

Clown loaches are excellent with angelfish however I noticed that when it comes to feeding, all the angels are crazily at the top and leave no room for the clowns, so the angels are quickly spooked by the clowns 'whisker-like' barbs. But at the end they do fine. Swortail Lyretails also go perfect with them, and dwarf gouramis too, however the gouamis may be aggressive to them, I am not sure on that one. My ghost knife is fine with them too.

The tank is up and cycled now.

Tankmates include:
-4 Spotted Danios
-1 Female Sword Tail
-2 Angelfish (one is all white while the other is white with black stripes)

and...
-1 male betta

See I'm aware that the male betta in the tank is a bad idea but I was sort of forced into it when that betta's tank has broken. The angels were following the betta around for a little while but it seems that have lost interest in the betta for the time being. Considering that these are all young fish, from what I can tell they are all babies including the betta (couple of months old).

Considering that the betta and the angels have similar personalities, am I creating a warzone here or will these fish learn to like each other from their young age like many people have said about neons and angels?

Doggfather said:
discus like tall tanks
Discus are harder to keep then angels or so I've been told. Angels require a moderate degree of attention while Discus require alot.

An experienced fish keeper would probably have little problems entertaining a Discus but I doubt I could.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back