Good product for torn fins?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PaperBird

Reaction score
Hey there! I have a female koi betta named Poplar, and she is a great personality. She lives with a little female bristlenose pleco in their 10 gallon, and both fish are happy and healthy. The problem however, is that SawWhet (pleco) and Poplar tend to fight over veggies (cucumber, nori, zucchini, lettuce, etc.) that are given about twice a week. This hasn't cause major damage, though Poplar's fins are periodically torn. The slit cuts heal overnight, but she is quite raspy around the edges, and I am unsure if that's due to the sparing or if they are just like that... She is a veiltail and very active. She eats great, jumps for food, gets real excited when you wihgle your fingers in front of the tank, builds bubble nests and occationally pushes out eggs xD. She is a happy healthy girl, beyond the fins tearing... It hasn't been an issue, but I worry they are unconfortable for her, or the potencial for infection... Some tank details just in case it helps:
- 10 gallon, filter, heater (80°F-81°F), air bubble line on for a couple hours in the day about 4 times a week.
- Minimal plastic (heater, filter, and air tube only), Florite clay gravel, aquarium sand, all live plants, coconut hut, spider wood/drift wood.
- Catapa leaves (indian almond leaves), 25% water change every 3 days, water conditioner and fert added with water change.
- Nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia all at heathy levels.
- Nuttifin bug bits fo4 tropical fish fed twice a day, along with the occational pea and whatever veggie she snatches off the plecos food.

I have considered adding aquarium salts or API stress coat. Has anyone used the stress coat on they fish with torn fins? I am cautious to add alot of chemicals to the system as I an a zoologist and try to keep things as natural as I can, as I feel it benefits my fish.
I've attached an Imgur link to some pictures, but she's real wiggly so the focus isn't great xD

https://m.imgur.com/PEhTJ5T,bwX0zy0,W8iKxCm,xxgh1wE

Thanks!!!

She eats great, jumps for food, gets real excited when you wihgle your fingers in front of the tank, builds bubble nests and occationally pushes out eggs xD. She is a happy healthy girl,
Your fish seems a little confused in the "which sex am I" category. Male Bettas normally build bubble nests not females. But if the fish has produced eggs then it is female.

As long as the water is kept clean, through good filtration, regular water changes and gravel cleans, and the temperature is correct for the species (and it all appears to be good), there is no need to add anything to treat ripped or damaged fins. However, as you noted, there is always a chance for the damaged area to become infected so you should always monitor the damaged areas for bacterial or fungal infections that might occur.

You could add more tannins to the water, and these can help reduce bacterial & fungal infections. But they also discolour the water and make it harder to see the fish. Have a few more catappa leaves in the tank and make sure you have driftwood for the suckermouth catfish.

Do not add salt or anything else unless the fish actually develops an infection.

----------------------
When you feed fruit/ veges try offering 2 pieces at opposite ends of the tank. Then the pleco can have one and the Betta can go to the other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back