Good Battery Backup (ups) For Aquarium Use?

You could easily make the main pole support in a block of concrete to give it weight and have the propeller head removable and lockable so that when its particularly high winds you can move it inside.

true the batteries produce dc (direct current ) to your home supply too but this gets converted to ac (alternating current) by a power inverter and then a transformar that boosts the power considerably higher to replicate your usuall electric supply from the grid and this is fiarly simple to wire apart from the main huckup to the mains ring which has to be done by a qualified electrician and all the wireing should be checked by them too best off getting one installed by a pro really then everything is garaunteed then unless you know what you are doing

Or if you go down the route of wind generator you could just plug the equipment into it when the mains power die, as it wont be used to power the house ony the equipment

it would be a bit hard plugging your electric cooker in it dragging it through kitchen lol or your bedroom light when you want to go to bed lol only messin mate yeah i see what you mean but it could be a problem for large not so accessalble or hard wired appliances

it would be a bit hard plugging your electric cooker in it dragging it through kitchen lol or your bedroom light when you want to go to bed lol only messin mate yeah i see what you mean but it could be a problem for large not so accessalble or hard wired appliances

He he you would use an extension cable between the 2. I still favour the petrol generator, or maybe we could get real clever and use a fule cell!! Lol

i have a smart ups 750xl , the current draw is , my pc, my screen,modem,fan, tv, and a hi fi [ and i have an extra battery pack , so its 2 units ]

when the power goes i get over an hour , but i wouldnt bother for a fish tank, whats the longest you have ever been without power, maybe if its often and for long spells, then *possibly*

i have a smart ups 750xl , the current draw is , my pc, my screen,modem,fan, tv, and a hi fi [ and i have an extra battery pack , so its 2 units ]

when the power goes i get over an hour , but i wouldnt bother for a fish tank, whats the longest you have ever been without power, maybe if its often and for long spells, then *possibly*

Apparently he said 2 - 3 days which is why a genny is the best option imho.

He he you would use an extension cable between the 2. I still favour the petrol generator, or maybe we could get real clever and use a fule cell!! Lol

No really clever would be geothermal energy used to power your home :drool:

Hurricanes would damage a large proportion of multiple states taking down transformers, power lines and power plants.

yeah. let's try to reply to all the things that have been proposed.

i dont have the means to build a solar panel or wind generator. if i had the money for that, i would help my parents buy a bigger place first.

can't use a generator simply because they can't be run indoors, and we dont have a yard. if we put it outside on the garden we coulnd't blink or it would be stolen within the hour, especially during hurricane season!

and we have been without power for over a week back in 2005 when Katrina and Wilma passed by us. the hurricanes take down power lines, and destroy even power plants, so that's why it takes so long to be restored. fortunately since 2005 nothing like that has happened again, but now that i'm so invested into my fish, it's something I can't stop thinking about.

for now i guess i dont have any real options that would work. so let's just hope the electricity doesnt go out for too long....better yet, let's hope no hurricanes come this way!

:rolleyes: You can build a wind generator for under $100 they really are simple devices, and compared to a ups much more effective. Propellor spins magnets between two sets of coper wire resistors causing electron flow which can then be tapped off to a transistor to make an AC current which can then have your tank plug directly in. If worse comes to worse and there is no wind you can hook it up to a bike. Go on the bike for 5-10mins every hour and it will keep the filter bacteria alive and the heater warming the tank.

I was looking into this a few months ago - and there is so little helpful information out there. It's difficult to know what to do.

I got lucky and received two 1400 APC power supplies from work, as they are closing down. They will run my 25 Watt filter for about 24hrs each I think.

Do you need to run your heater? If you don't, it opens up your options much wider.

Maybe you can get something like this:

Motomaster Eliminator 1,200A PowerBox: http://www.small-cabin.com/small-cabin-off...eliminator.html - Check the third item on the list. Not bad for $250. But still won't power your tank for days at a time unfortunately.

Most reactions

Back