Goldfish Turning Red.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

splashley

Reaction score
okay so today i noticed my goldfish are turning red. blood red. i have nooo fkin clue whats going on. this is my first time taking care of fish.. i cleaned my fish tank recently.. no i didn't put any new products in it.. so..

i have no idea if goldfish are suppost to turn red..so.. somebody.. tell me.
it's never happened before..

because i'm very curious.

What size is the tank.
Did you cycle it and if so how?
How often do you change water
Do you have water stats?
Any other symptons?
Is it pooing?
Does it look bloated?
What do you feed it?
Does it have tankmates?
How long has it been like this?
What color was it before?
It is patches of all over?

What size is the tank.
Did you cycle it and if so how?
How often do you change water
Do you have water stats?
Any other symptons?
Is it pooing?
Does it look bloated?
What do you feed it?
Does it have tankmates?
How long has it been like this?
What color was it before?
It is patches of all over?

holy jesus SO MANY QUESTIONS

it just started happening today
well..i notice one the fishes like moving around a lot.. more then it normally does..
i'm the bigggest n00b with fish, so i can't answer most of those questions
maybe i should take a picture and show you people...

there are a total of 5 fish..
but i've had them for a few months now and this has never happened before.. :|:|:|

Well we need to know what size the tank is to determine what caused it, what it is and how to treat it.
Do you know what other fish are in there?

um.. i honestly don't know what size it is.. its not small.. its not too big..i mean, you can pick it up and move it easily if there was no water in it.. the fish have a lot of room to swim in.. like i said, i'm a n00b. theres 5 goldfish. it's only been them for the past few months. mmmm, ima have to guess that its about a foot high and.. 1 foot width.. and 2 foot length.. LOL... oh man i'm horrible at this.

Does it look fuzzy or ragged? Sounds like a bacterial infection, treat with Maracyn 1 & 2 and do every day water changes. Bet the tank is about 10 gallons. all those goldfish need at least 60 gallons, so once you treat this you'll either need to give them away or upgrade ASAP

it looks like as if it got scratched and its bleeding..... :|

If it looks like blood under the skin, it is septicemia.
Septicemia can by caused by a variety of things, it is often caused by water quality problems or general stressful conditions in the tank environment, which then lead to an internal bacterial problem- it is lethal if left untreated.
You need to look at the ways you are keeping your fish to find the root cause of the problem if you are to save your fish. Because you are a new to fishkeeping, i would strongly advice reading this article on understanding water quality;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

If you just filled up the tank, stuck some goldfish in it, and left it at that, then it is likely that your tank will be experiencing very bad or unstable water quality at the moment which will be putting a lot of strain on the goldfishes health and making them stressed.
If you can keep good water quality and understand how it works (like the nitrogen cycle), then that is the first step to keeping happy and healthy fish.
I need more info on your situation though if i am to help you sort this problem out, so;

What are the dimensions of the tank i.e. width, length and height?
Is the tank filtered, and if so, what type of filtration do you have and how many gallons/litres does it claim to filter up to?
Do you have any dechlorinator/water conditioner (to remove chlorine and heavy metals from tap water)?
What food do you have for the goldfish and how much do you feed them and how often on average?

Keeping goldfish is a big commitment, they can easily live to over 20years old if properly cared for, and many varities can grow very large (over 12inches long). Although they're often as tough as old boots, they need to be cared for properly like any other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back