goldfish question

3neko

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong spot then tell me so I can apologize, I didn't see a place for goldfish. :*)

What would cause a goldfish to develop black spots all over? I have a friend that has a goldfish(it's about 5-7 inches long, blind, and very old) in a 10 gallon filtered tank with an algae eater(?). :/

dont put algae eaters in the same tank as goldfish sometime the algae eater will eat the slimecoat.... but it depends on what kind of algae eater! ummm and coldwater section is for goldfish! and a 10 gallon is to small for a gold fish and... thats all i can think of :p buh bye!

black spots on a goldfish is usually melanophore migration. basically, its the skin of the fish healing from ammonia or nitrite burns. get him to check his levels and do more in the way of water changes.
i agree common goldfish in a 10 gallon isnt a good idea. how old is it and how big? commons need at least a 20 gallon when they are pretty small.

well thats good that ur goldish is healing sounds kinda sad though how its healing but same time it sounds good. Maybe u could fine a 29 gallon aquirum and deck it out with some cool plants or w/e and put ur goldie in there? i think they like to eat a lot of liveplants though, im not sure.

I thought a 10 gallon was too small. (It is a biiiiig fish.) The algae eater is about the same size aa the goldfish, and i'm not sure how often she changes the water, and I don't know if it's cycled, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure she doesn't change the water weekly, cause she puts something in the water when it starts to get cloudy(though i'm not sure what it is, eh heh) It's basically a bare tank with a filter and two enormous fish. She said because the goldfish is blind it doesn't need as much space as a seeing fish. o_O She feeds it flakes as far as I know. I'll ask her how often she changes the water next time I see her.

i'm cringing for this poor fish. goldfish and common plecs, if it is that, arent a good idea as the plec will eat the slime coat off the fish opening it up to infections. the blindness would have come about because of poor water quality.

Most reactions

Back