Goldfish And White Cloud (minnows)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

*Fishkies*

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Has anyone ever kept Goldfish with the White Cloud Minnow?? I was just curious as I have heard that White Cloud Minnows are cold water. If anybody has any light to shed on this topic, that would be great! :good:

:thanks:

Yep, I keep about 6 WCMMs and a fancy goldfish together with no problems. They've more or less grown up together. I've read that a large goldfish might eat young/small fish, but if they're too big to fit in its mouth you're fine. Anyway, I added 2 young WCMMs recently, and my goldfish is about 2.5" None dissapeared :good:

Thanks for your quick response! Anyone else have any experiences?? :hyper:

Zebra Danios and Buenos Aires Tetras are also cool water fish. There are many others but I've owned them two so I know they like the low 70's water like fancy goldfish.

lol. i have 2 goldfish, ones like 4.5", the other about 2" and 2 tiger barbs, and a rainbow shark, all together.. lol.. they get along just fine too. in a 55 gallon tank..

I have 2 goldfish 3" and 4", 1 pearl bubble and 5 minnows in my coldwater tank and they get along really well. Tank been established like that for over a year and no problems to report. Good luck :)

Goldfish work well with WCMM's and lots of different danios, including zebra danios (just make sure you research the type of danio first).

But single tailed varieties of goldfish (shubunkin, comet, common) will eat them as they grow bigger. With small goldfish it's OK, just remember all goldfish should be expected to grow big unless they are stunted, which can result in health problems :good: .

Bigger fancy tailed goldfish are generally OK, as they are a little too clumsy to catch fast moving small fish.

The rule with most fish that if it fits in it's mouth - it will try to eat it :).

I may definatly consider this for the future with my coldwater tank as right now, I have some goldfish who are quite large and are always hungry and looking for something new to chomp on. :good:

:thanks: for the responses!

I would like to add that it completely depends on the type of goldfish when stocking non-goldfish fish with it. Fancy goldfish are usually too slow swimmers to catch and eat small quick fish like WCMM's, but slim type goldfish like comets and commons are more than agile and fast enough to eat such small fish and will eat them given half a chance- goldfish will eat any fish/critter they can catch that fits into their mouths.

Would they actually like chew it up and swallow it or would the spit it back out though? I mean i'm not one for chancing but has anyone had experience with them eating them or spitting them back out?

Would they actually like chew it up and swallow it or would the spit it back out though? I mean i'm not one for chancing but has anyone had experience with them eating them or spitting them back out?

Yeah they'd chew it up if the fish wasn't large enough to just gulp it down in one go, my goldfish do this when they try to eat food that is too large for them to swallow whole (like large algae wafers). A WCMM wouldn't stand much of a chance against a large comet or common goldfish.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't the zebra danios go after the fancy goldfish's tails? I believe that I have read that danios can't be with betta's because of the long tail problem, and I would think this would go for fancies, too.

Maybe someone could clarify this? :unsure:

I'm not sure, but wouldn't the zebra danios go after the fancy goldfish's tails? I believe that I have read that danios can't be with betta's because of the long tail problem, and I would think this would go for fancies, too.

Maybe someone could clarify this? :unsure:

It's talking about White Cloud Minnows and Goldfish.....nothing about zebra danios. As the topic of this says, goldfish and white cloud minnows.... :huh:

However I did mention zebra danios, and not usually, zebra danios aren't massive fin-nippers if you keep them right.
Zebra danios can mix well with bettas and veil tail angel fish, and frequently do.
There's always exceptions to the rule, but IME 99% of the time somebody experiences zebra danios (or another species accused of fin-nipping) it is because the fish didn't feel secure enough.
Besides, not all fancy goldfish really have big long flowing fins, only some types :good: .

Here's a vid i stumbled across on youtube. Prime example. I wouldn't risk it. I'd be horrified :no:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-evt4DMdNA

Edit to say its nothing too gruesome, It's an oranda with a guppy in its mouth and it won't let go...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back