Golden Wonder Panchax Fry

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

N0body Of The Goat

Oddball and African riverine fish keeper
Reaction score
Well it seems my persistant male did produce some fertile eggs in the Rio240, before they moved down to the 540l some two weeks or so ago. In the last 48 hours, two ~1cm fry have emerged from the forest of floating plants from "Voo" and are now in the breeder net used for my Pearl Danios months ago!

I'm a little concerned about the feeding though, as neither has shown eager intrest in either the Tetramin baby powder or finely crushed Tetra Prima Discus. Even some thawed daphnia did not get them excited.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Given that the fry are sharing with ~13 2cm Lionhead fry and their "mum", I'm wondering whether I should just let them have free roam again... But given the Lionhead fry are exploring right upto the water surface, I wonder if they might see the Panchax fry as food.

Congratulations on the spawning first of all :D I know after a few issues a good sign like this must be positive :D :good:

Are you 100% sure the fry are not eating anything I mean could it be possible they eat from around the walls of the net of left over food?

I know its quite different but my whiptails are getting huge and fat yet I have never seen them eat a thing!

Wills

They will be eating wither infusoria from the plant matter or small morsels strewn around the aquarium.
They will eventually sucumb to the lure of flake food but if you want to direct feed these babies you should rear them seperatly on BBS and other live food, this is not altogether necessary as they will (those that survive) eventially take flake
Regards
C

Thanks for that. Given the fry are only sharing with ~2cm Lionhead fry and their ~6cm mum, do you reckon it might be best to release the killis from the breeding net or contiune to protect and try and feed them?

Just a quick update to say that I now had three youngsters in the breeding net. Within seconds of adding the third one, a really nasty scrap developed between two of them, which thankfully sorted itself out without major injury (I wondered if it was two males recognising each other so young?).

They are eating crumbled up flake and Tetra Prima, just took me some time to realise what sort of portions I should try and do three times a day (not a lot at all!)

Most reactions

Back