Golden Wonder Panchax Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Slicercrush

Reaction score
Hello all!

Recently, I finally begun the journey into planted tanks, and decided to start small, with minimal equipment. I got a 10 gal aquarium from Petco during their "$1 a gallon" sale, a new tank hood and light, a HOB filter with a nice sponge pre-filter, and some Seachem Flourite substrate. For some Decor I bought some Dragon Stone to make a nice centerpiece cave, as well as some shale for accents. Inside for plants I picked up a decent deal on Java Fern, some Dwarf Hairgrass (later replaced by some S. Repens which is currently having some trouble rooting), an Unknown Plant on either side of the tank from the LFS, and some Frog-Bit to add a nice hangdown. Originally, this tank was going to house a few pea puffers, but after seeing that they had some golden wonder killies, I couldnt help myself. Getting them was an adventure on its own, the owner actually handed me a net, a bucket, and had me go out of the back to grab as many as I wanted from his pond, and I managed to get 3 females and a male for only $5!

Now that they have settled in for a few weeks, and have already starting taking a healthy diet of bloodworms quite frequently (been feeding every other day, but should probably move it up to one or two times a day), I have begun to question how I can start to breed these killies. From what ive seen online its quite simple, and am thinking about maybe grabbing an extra 10 gallon and either some java moss or a breeding mop, placing them together with one of my sponge filters that are lying around, and use this as a breeding tank? I would probably set a female aside and feed her some live crickets or bloodworms for a day or two beforehand as well, to increase egg production.

Currently, my main questions are, would they be willing to breed in their own current setup where I could later just remove the eggs, or is it required to separate them into a whole different tank? Also, if anyone has any other advice or can point me in the right direction for breeding killies, it would be awesome! Thanks.

Heres a pic of their current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/NDTYA7Z

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The easiest way to breed killifish is to put them in a single species tank with lots of plants (I like Java Moss & Water Sprite) and feed them a variety of food 3-4 times per day. Then scoop the babies out of the floating plants and put them in another tank.

Make sure the filters are established and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels if feeding 3-4 times per day. If the filters are not established and you feed that often, you will probably kill the fish from ammonia poisoning.

Do not feed live crickets to any fish.

Don't just feed them bloodworms either. Feed a variety of dry, frozen and live foods. Live aphids, small moths, mozzies & mozzie larvae, flies, etc are all suitable as long as they have not been contaminated with chemicals like bug spray.

Frozen prawn, fish, squid, bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp & daphnia are usually taken.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back