Gold Sailfin Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

geb

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a newbie, both on this forum and in the field of tropical fish, so please bear with me in case I ask stupid questions.
I've set up my first aquarium (54 litres) and started up a week ago with a pair of gold sailfin platies (as they've been sold to me in the shop).

I find it difficult to get more info on this fish, as all my searches came across 'gold sailfin mollies', which seem to be much more common. I have to say that the pic I found online looks very similar to my fish, so I wonder if they are just one and same thing (i.e. 'gold sailfin platy' = 'gold sailfin molly').

I would be grateful if any of you could help me finding more info (including a pic) on gold sailfin platies. I am mainly interested in the optimum salinity of the water (at the moment I have just fresh water in my aquarium, but some articles about mollies seem to suggest to add some sea salt in) and compatible species that I could add in later on in order to have a well-balanced and still easy to maintain community tank. Of course, any other info or piece of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
geb

I would say they are probably gold sailfin mollies whcih are very common in LPS. I have never seen a sailfin platy in a LPS. Normally you have to find a breeder online and I think they are normally called high fin platies.

hi geb
you will probably find that they are sailfin mollys, these pics may help.

HiFin Platy

Sailfin Molly

if they are mollys then they may benefit from slightly brackish conditions, however if you are wanting a mixed community tank you may be better to keep them in freshwater.

Hi,
thanks for your replies, it looks like they are gold sailfin mollies indeed.
I just came across a pic (and some more info, see below) that looks exactly like mine.

Would I not risk getting them sick in freshwater (as I have now), if apparently they prefer brackish water?

What sort of 'colleagues' can I add into a 12 gal (54 l) aquarium for a community tank?

(I was thinking of adding another female first - I am thinking of a black molly - as the male keeps chasing his 'other half' most of the time; would that be ok?).

Thanks again!

Taken from <http://www.petsolutions.com/Gold-Sailfin-Molly+I10310+C40001594.aspx>

Gold Sailfin Molly, Poecilia velifera is a vivid gold color with highlights of orange and red on the scale tips. The male has an extensive dorsal fin that it will raise for displays toward other males or to try to entice a female to spawn. A livebearer, the male also has an elongated anal fin or gonopodium. Growing to 4-6” in length, this species prefers hard water with a salt content between brackish and full marine levels. As an omnivore, the Sailfin will eat most all prepared foods, be sure to include a vegetable based food in the diet. The wild type Sailfin is a green color with black markings. Farm raised varieties range from Gold, Marbled to Black. Cover should be provided to allow multiple males to get "out-of-sight" of one another and to give females a place to rest. Safe with most other Community fish, the Sailfin can make an excellent addition, though best kept with other salt tolerant species.

Med S/F Molly (Regan, 1914)
Scientific Name Poecilia velifera
Diet Herbivore
Alt. Common Name Sailfin Molly
Family Poeciliidae
Origin Mexico
Aquarist Level Beginner through Advanced
Community Aquarium Safe Yes(medium fish)
Coloration several color morphs, basic is silver w/orange highlites, male has extensive dorsal fin for displays
Disposition Peaceful
Hardiness Hardy
Same Species Compatibility pairs or groups
Inter-Species Compatibility med-lg community fish
Captive Size 4-6"
Minimum Recommended Aquarium Size 20 Gallon
Sexual Dimorphism male has large dorsal fin, anal fin tubular shape
Notes: Males will display to females and other males, prefer planted tank, hard to brackish water, vegetable based diet

Taken from <http://www.petsolutions.com/Gold-Sailfin-Molly+I10310+C40001594.aspx>

in store we keep all of our mollys in 100% freshwater and so do the majority of poeple who keep them in my area so i can't see why they shouldn't be ok, i have heard that they are more prown to disease when there is no salt present but IMO they can live fine in a freshwater tank.

Minimum Recommended Aquarium Size 20 Gallon

that may be your biggest problem with the sailfins, ideally you will need 4 (1M 3F) to prevent the females from getting too stressed out by the male, (which will happen). You will need a tank with plenty of cover, but 12G of water isn't a lot for 3-4 fish that will grow to around 5-6".

Personally i would exchange them for either standard mollys or even platys, the sailfin males show too much aggression and they really need a much larger tank for them all to get along'

Mollies do get quite large up to 4inches usually. Also you should probably have a ratio of 3 females to 1 male, this way the females don't get stressed when the male wants to mate.

Sometimes the sailfin male does chase her up around the tank quite a bit, indeed!

Would another female molly - but of a different kind (such as a black or dalmatian molly) - be a good choice?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back