Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus

kell

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey

Does anyone have any pics or information on this fish "Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus". i dont know its common name or anything about it and i have 1 in my tank. any information will be greatly appreciated.
:nod: :no: :nod: :no: :nod: :no: :nod: :no: :nod:

glyptoperichthys-joselimaianusCB3.JPG
This?

yes thats the one :cool: , do u know what it eats?? it doesnt seem to eat flake.
and mine doesnt move most of the day is that normal??

I think rain just got one of them for her new 100L tank....you could ask her if you wanted to....she started a thread in the Pictures section about the new tank, and mentions the fish there...

I have one in my 500 litre tank which is going to be a bit too small for it when it grows up. Big and beautiful.

My joselimaianus spends his time sucking the wood in the tank and sometimes bothers to go down and eat some shrimp pellets. I'm going to give him veggies soon, he will propably love them =)

Plecs are usually more active during the evening and night time, but when they get used to the tank and feel comfortable they will move around in daytime too =)

I got a bad pic of him, I named him Santeri.

santeri.jpg

u have a nice tank and i like that fish nice name , ill give vegies a go too what type of vegies???

A little information that I hope is useful to you ;) Tank....
A minimum 80 centimetre (32 inch) tank can be used when they are small (up to about 10 centimetres) with a capacity of 112 litres (this is roughly a tank of dimensions 80x38x38cm or 32x15x15 inches).
Because they grow to a large size, they will eventually have to be moved to a larger tank - starting from 120 centimetres (48 inch) and around a 250 litre capacity (dimensions of 120x45x45cm or 48x18x18 inches).
Decoration....
Rocks and caves can be used to provide hiding places and wood should be added for them to rasp on. Open swimming areas should be kept, as the fish can often be seen cruising the tank.
They don't eat plants, although they may damage the leaves when eating algae. Plants attached to rock or wood, such as Anubias and Bolbitus heudelotii (African Water Fern) work well.
Other plants that could be used include Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), Cryptocorene balanse and Red Amazon Sword (Echinodoras osiris).
They prefer dim light so floating plants such as Indian Fern (Ceratopteris thalictroides) and Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans) are ideal to filter the light.
Maintenance and Disease....
Good filtration is essential in order to maintain good oxygen content in the water.
These fish excrete large amounts of waste when they are fed properly. Regular water changes and gravel cleaning are required to remove this waste matter.
If the water quality is not maintained, small holes can appear in the fin membranes.
If they are not getting enough oxygen from the water, they will come to the surface much more.
Water parameters:

pH: slightly acidic to slightly alkaline (6.5-7.5: optimum 7.1)

Hardness: moderate (4-20dH: optimum 12)

Temperature: 24-30oC.
Compatibility....
Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus is active during the day, but become more active at night.
They are a peaceful fish and are ideal for a community tank with medium and large fish.
As with most of the larger loricarid catfish, males can be quite aggressive towards conspecifics such as the Sailfin Pleco (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps) or Pleco (Glyptoperichthys multiradiatus).
They are not a particular nervous or skittish fish and generally live in the tank just going about their business.

Wow Arcticfox, way to come in and give lots of great information on only your second post. I can see you are going to be valuable here! :kana:

ALASKA

I just found the site arcticfox was citing. There's mentioned the english name, Gold Spot Pleco. And there's some really nice pictures. http://www.wetpetz.com/joselim.htm

I wouldn't keep any Glyptoperichthys species under 500 litre tank when they are fully grown, but as said, it will take a long time for them to grow big.

Mine is in a planted tank and I hope he won't destroy my plants when he gets older.

Zucchini is the first vegetable I'm going to feed him. lets hope he likes it :)

Hi... Mine is grwong pretty quickly. I got him neary 2 months ago and he was only 2.5 inch... now he is about 6.5 inch and growing. He comes out all the time during the day, but especially at feeding time, he eats pretty much anything from wafers to veggies to prawns and bloodworm.

Check him out... :D

2004_0501_Aquarium_0134_edited.JPG

They are an L001.

Have a look at www.planetcatfish.com

Regards,

Chris

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back