Glass Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

penguinpimp1990

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Common Name(s): Glass Fish, Indian Glass Fish.

Scientific Name: Pseudambassis ranga; synonyms include Parambassis ranga and Chanda ranga

Family:Chandidae

Maximum Size: 2"

Origin: Throughout Asia, including Thailand, India, Myanmar, and Malaysia

Care: There is a big misconseption about the water conditions of this fish. Some say its fresh water, others say its brackish. Its naturally a Freshwater fish but does quite often swim into slighltly brackish waters. If kept in brackish Glass Fish prefer SG between 1.002 and 1.005. I wouldnt reccomend anything above a SG of 1.005, as this might be too much salt for the fish to handle. But many consider this a low end brackish fish, but short periods of sg levels of 1.007 will be ok as long as you keep a close eye on them, livefoods and higher oxygen levels also help ease the elevated salt level stress on the fish. Tempature is ideally kept between 74 and 80 degrees. pH should be kept between 6 and 8.1 Minimum of ten gallons is reccomended, with a shoal of at least 4 glass fish. In the tank be sure to include plenty of hiding places, with areas of dense vegetation in some spots. There should also be open swimming space available to your Glass Fish. Prefers very gentle water currents. In the wild it oftens lives in standing waters.

Feeding: Feed about 2 medium sized portions daily. Insect larvae, fruit flies, and worms are relished, and are very important to include because they are very beneficial to your fish's health. Most frozen or freeze dried foods are accepted, along with live foods and prepared tropical flakes or pellets.

Sexing and Breeding: Males have a small hint of blue around the fin area, and a more pointed swim bladder. Raising the Tempature to about 84 degrees and a few small fresh water changes may trigger spawning. Females lay eggs on broad leaved plants. Eggs hatch in about 24 hours, fry are difficult to care for.

Comments: This fish is commonly dyed with bright neon colors and sold as "painted fish". The dying process is very painful to the fish as they are injected with a needle. Dying significntly reduces life span to only a few months. This is very cruel and there are many organizations dedicated to try to stop this abuse of the fish. And on a less serious note, the fish is popular due to the fact that it is completley clear! You can see all the organs and bones of this fish! Glass Fish are fairly active, but are very nervous by instinct.

An excellent write-up.

I'd mention that I keep mine in soft/acid and they are thriving, and I mean thriving. Doubled in size, perfectly tame, eat anything, from bloodworm to chunks of prawn. Notably resistent to whitespot, which I get when introducing new fish sometimes, but the glassfish don't seem to be affected much, if at all.

Frozen lobster eggs are really enjoyed by these fish, and make a cheap staple. Get them in a marine fish store.

Nervousness goes away the more fish you have. I've got nine in my tank, and they're very boisterous, pushy little fish! Seem to get along with even moderately aggressive fish like rams and South American puffers. One surprise has been how willingly they school with hatchetfish!

Cheers,

Neale

I actually keep a shoal in acidic peat stained Freshwater tank AND a shoal in lightly brackish water tank.(between 1.001-1.005 varying with each water change). In both cases they seemed to be doing great. In my opinion, they can be thriving in FW and brackish as long as the sg doesnt raise above 1.005

As for breeding, I have had great success in the peat stained freshwater, while the brackish tank's glassfish have yet to breed. The glassfish FW tank's pH was neutral before adding the blackwater extract and they wouldnt breed, but after the extract was added they seem to breed non stop. Ive read that for some reason or another that even if they are kept in freshwater with a neutral pH, they wont breed, the water has to be acidic. The eggs of mine are laid on the java fern and african tiger lotuses. For breeding, they reccomend a slight raise in tempature, but mine breed after water changes with cooler water. I dont have an extra tank to raise the fry, so all the fry have died so far. The fry usually hide in the vallis all day. After a few days they start "disappearing".

Mod comment: Excellent input for those trying to breed these fish. Thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back