Glass Cat

dvanbem

Reaction score
hey i got 3 glass cat today and put them in my 5gal. just temporarily but they lay on their side and i dunno if their dying or if they just do that or wut it is so if ne one knows please let me kno

Kryptopterus Minor (Glass catfish, Asian glass catfish,phantom catfish) region East asia, Thailand, Mallaysia, Indonesiasize 3.2 inches temp range 21-26c sexing unknow.

These are from the catfish group of that like to be in groups the larger the better, the fewer you have the more likely you would be that they will die form illness. I would suggest no fewer than at least 6-10. the more you can put in your tank with out cramping the room the more will survive adn the better they will do. They do have a tendacie to get bacterial infections, this shows up as a small white mark on the see through part of the body. They will also through illness, swim on their side, sometimes resulting in them swmming in circles, this can last a few days up to a week, some get ovet it with out medication , alas most do not.
These are in my view an excellent fish to keep, one that will keep some people fixed ont he tank for a while epes when u have friends over, its unusal and one of ony a few catfish that are diurnal ( daylight catfish)

I hope this has helps in some small way

There is evidently an exception to every rule......

I have one glass catfish in my 20 gal. community tank and it has been the only one for maybe 6 to 8 months. I had more but this one outlived them. Since that time I have bought more but they never made it past the first few day in the tank. I would just find them dead. Of course, when I find some more I will buy 2 or 3 and try again so it will have company. In the meanwhile it hangs out with a small school of glowlight tetras and seems to be doing ok.

The really neat thing about it is that when I feed it blackworms you can see through it and see its stomach turn red.

Most reactions

Back