Giving Discus Granules To Guppies And Platies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I tend to rotate my fishes diets between discus granules and two different types of tropical flakes.

As i've ran out of one of the types of tropical flakes i've been giving them more discus granules than they'd normally get regularly. The problem is i've noticed that the platies (2 female Mickey Mouse, 1 female comet platy and 1 high-tailed male platy) and guppies (2 female and 1 male) are quite often showing a lot of trailing waste. The mickey mouse platies in particular are often trailing a very large bit of waste behind them.

I've noticed my Zebra Danios do too - but not as much, the neon tetras and harlequins seem completely unaffected.

I've also got 6 guppy fry in a hatchery tank and at least 4 out of the 6 show trailing waste regularly. I give them ground up discus found that is basically powder.

I've had a look around the net but I can't find anything that suggests discus granules would do this, but I am wondering if it is as it seems like a strange coincidence. If it's not the granules what else could it be?

I don't get the problem... all fish produce waste...

Maybe the problem is more that you are over feeding the granules? If they are aimed at discus, they are probably pretty high protein etc and for fish that dont need a particularly exciting diet, they arent benefitting from the food as much as discus would and half of it is just ending up as waste.

Discus granules are pretty much just Prima which is fine to feed trops (though tbh i hate the stuff) but maybe you just need to cut down how much you are feeding at a time and if more than once a day.. probably cut down how often you feed too.

MBOU said:
I don't get the problem... all fish produce waste...

Maybe the problem is more that you are over feeding the granules? If they are aimed at discus, they are probably pretty high protein etc and for fish that dont need a particularly exciting diet, they arent benefitting from the food as much as discus would and half of it is just ending up as waste.

Discus granules are pretty much just Prima which is fine to feed trops (though tbh i hate the stuff) but maybe you just need to cut down how much you are feeding at a time and if more than once a day.. probably cut down how often you feed too.
I don't think I overfeed as I always feed my fish every other day, and this has served me well with both my goldfish I had for years and now my tropical fish. My problem is essentially why do my fish have a lot of trailing waste? As I say, it seems to be a recent issue that wasn't there maybe 3/4 weeks ago when I wasn't feeding discus granules as often.

I knew the granules were suited more to discus, but I was under the impression they were safe for trops too.

They are safe... you just need less of them...

But you are feeding a high protein food to fish (livebearers etc) to fish that need a vegetable diet... stands to reason they wont be digesting so much of the food and therefore there will be more waste...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back