Given An Old Tank...

subhuman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been given a Juwel Vision 260 (with integral filter) and all the bits.

The tank still has the substrate (sand) in with a couple of inches of water along with a few live plants still growing. I'd say it hasn't been up and running for a month or two - the bottom of the filter sponge is slightly damp but I can't say if it dried out or not.

The sand is in a bit of a state - lots of fish poo and debris mixed in. Evidence of algae growth on the front of the tank infront of the substrate.

So, taking this into account, am I best off simply disposing of the substrate, plants and filter sponges and starting from scratch - giving everything a good clean with cold water?

Or, should I attempt to clean the sand, give the tank a clean, put it back in with the plants and run the filter with new sponges?

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Well I personally would take everything out and wash it out really good with hot water. The live plants you can keep, and just wash them with cool decholrinated water and they will be fine. The substrate, I would just find new stuff, if you can. I mean you just never know what diseases are in the substrate or how old it is or how long it has been in the tank or what fish it has been with. I'm not sure if you got this tank from a friend or where but if you knew them well enough, you might be able to keep the filter media. Once again I personally would just start out fresh, with new substrate and fliter media. But overall keep the live plants. Have fun! :nod:

:fish:

Well, the tank will not be cycled any more, as with only a bit of water and no fish the bacteria will have died off. Seen as that is the case, I would definitely strip it out and start again as if it were a new tank. For another reason, it gives you a chance to put your own personal touch into the structure of the tank.

You could always take out any plants that you like the look of and add them later.

Might as well start with new sponges if you are starting again too...

Cheers
Squid

Unless it's a tank you were familiar with when it was up and running, it's probably safer to start from scratch with the filter. The gravel - well - it's best to dump that too and get nice fresh stuff - the added bonus is being able to decorate the way you like... ornaments and fake plants can be washed off in hot water and vinegar - saw a friend do that...

yup i'd start from fresh too, for two main reasons, as squid said the filter won't be cycled anymore (let us know if you don't know what cycling is, we'll give you some links, it's important stuff to learn before you get any fish) and secondly there could still be diseases lurking or all sorts of nasties that have got into the tank.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll throw most of the stuff out tonight. I have experience with cycling and starting from 'new' - but this is the first time I've been given used kit!

The tank was from my brother, he moved house and didn't have room for the tank. He can't remember when he last changed the filters - never a good sign - luckily he had a few spare filter sponges (but not a complete set) - so I think I'll replace what I can and thoroughly clean the rest.

With regards to hot water - from past experience with a smaller tank I have I think I'll mix cold and boiled water together with some dechlorinator and give it a good clean inside and out.

bearing that in mind i'd rather start from new if it was me, you sound as if you already have tanks, if you do you can just seed the new filter by transferring filter media across from an old one to the new one and get going with some fish pretty soon :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back