Ghost Shrimp Disappearing

Wait you havent even cycled the tank yet? Thats why your losing shrimp likly, and why are you putting those fish throw this, cycle with hardier fish. You should lose the clown loach for sure now, from stress.

gaya said:
That's so sad that your cycling your tank with a clown loach. :sad: I hope he makes it.
That's what happens when uninformed people speak out as if they are informed.

I changed tanks, using mostly the same materials - thus the bacteria remained intact for the most part. I am in a word 'cycling' my tank, but it's partially already established. My ammonia levels are higher than an established tank (today's test read at 2.0) but not nearly as high as a brand new fresh tank.

Frank3333 basically follows me to every thread - even ones unrelated to cycling or the loach - and mentions it. It's getting quite annoying, and I hope eventually he just realizes that I ignore his 'advice'.

lol that made me laugh. You know why I do? Becasue againt everything that was said you got the loach, not just because the tank was to small for it plus you only got 1 when clown loaches are very social fish. Uninformed? I have clown loaches myself, and I have done a ton of research on them. I also rearch all the fish I have, want, and plan to get. My friend has tanks also and we talk all the time about fish, which expands my knowledge on larger cichlids. I dont care you switched tanks, you should still wait for the tank to cycle. The clown loach will get stressed anyways from being alone in the first place, then you have it in an uncycled tank which puts a lot of stress on any fish.

ok (1) Raven, i got the impression that you were cycling from scratch as well. it is what you said. try not to be defensive, k?

and (2) Frank, you are harassing Raven. he is obviously determined to own the clown loach in that 30g no matter what you or anyone else says. fine, whatever, that's his perogative. a clown loach can take years to grow anyways. and if you're so obsessed over the fact that its lonely, try to be glad that there's only the one "suffering" a tank cycle. essentially i just want to tell you that there's no use in kicking a dead horse. the things you say are not going to make any difference, so why bother?

pica_nuttalli said:
ok (1) Raven, i got the impression that you were cycling from scratch as well. it is what you said. try not to be defensive, k?

and (2) Frank, you are harassing Raven. he is obviously determined to own the clown loach in that 30g no matter what you or anyone else says. fine, whatever, that's his perogative. a clown loach can take years to grow anyways. and if you're so obsessed over the fact that its lonely, try to be glad that there's only the one "suffering" a tank cycle. essentially i just want to tell you that there's no use in kicking a dead horse. the things you say are not going to make any difference, so why bother?
What I really get a kick out of is that everybody seems to expect everyone to have at least a 55gal - and sometimes even that isn't enough. He told me flat out not to get a loach because it grows too large for my tank etc etc. I read more threads here about the loach and found that it does take years for it to even reach a size that a 30 gallon couldn't handle.

I'm not planning on upgrading my tank in the near future because I'm a poor bastard - and the nearest real fish store is an horu and a half away - all I have here is a walmart. That doesn't mean in 1-2 years I won't have a bigger tank... but it does mean I won't have one by next week, or even summer. And I don't expect the loach to grow so large that I'll need one in a few weeks or months.

On a side note, I don't know why everyone gets in such a big to-do that i'm doing a partial cycle with a loach. It doesn't really matter what kind of fish you use. A cycle hurts a danio or a gold fish as much as it does a loach... so it must just be that people consider the prettier fish to be a tragedy if they have to go through a cycle, while the cheaper, boring ones are expendable.

Clown loaches are known for being prone to ick and it's possible that a cycle could bring it on. plus they are scaless fish and hence are more sensitive. But i'm sure you already new that.

gaya said:
Clown loaches are known for being prone to ick and it's possible that a cycle could bring it on. plus they are scaless fish and hence are more sensitive. But i'm sure you already new that.
I assumed that being scaleless it would be more prone/sensitive, I didn't know it, no. Glad to find that my assumption was right in any case.

The-Raven said:
gaya said:
I assumed that being scaleless it would be more prone/sensitive, I didn't know it, no. Glad to find that my assumption was right in any case.
Well your assumptions about people worrying about the harmful affects for certain fish due to their beauty is not correct. Deaths and/or torture can hopefully be avoided with proper research and a resistance to impulsive purchases.

quite frankly my approach to it is that (judging by your resistance to comment) what's done is done and we can only give advice from there.

but hand-in-hand with not having a bigger tank is the realization that one cannot have certain fish! i agree that considering the extremely slow growth rate of a clown loach, a 30 for a year or two isn't horrible. clown loaches are a rare exception to tank size guidelines!! and the other side of keeping the loach in a smaller tank is that once it does hit 6~7 inches, you will need either to establish your upgraded tank or to sell your loach(es)! fortunately clowns are cute and popular, so selling a school of them shouldn't be hard at all.

ANYWAYS--glad to see the shrimp thing was solved, sorry to hear your loss, you got killies at walmart?!?

pica_nuttalli said:
quite frankly my approach to it is that (judging by your resistance to comment) what's done is done and we can only give advice from there.

but hand-in-hand with not having a bigger tank is the realization that one cannot have certain fish! i agree that considering the extremely slow growth rate of a clown loach, a 30 for a year or two isn't horrible. clown loaches are a rare exception to tank size guidelines!! and the other side of keeping the loach in a smaller tank is that once it does hit 6~7 inches, you will need either to establish your upgraded tank or to sell your loach(es)! fortunately clowns are cute and popular, so selling a school of them shouldn't be hard at all.

ANYWAYS--glad to see the shrimp thing was solved, sorry to hear your loss, you got killies at walmart?!?
I get all of my fish at walmart. They always have a lot of GW Killies, they aren't that popular here I guess.

They get 6 clown loaches a month, and the sell out before the first day - which is why I got one before they all disappeared. The dep. mgr. even told me what time they are delivered so I could have first pick :)

Yick! Walmart :X :D

I wanted to pop in a note here about the ghost shrimp - they do, sometimes rather commonly, cannibalize eachother if there aren't enough resources available. That is to say, if there isn't adequate shelter and/or food, if you're keeping a group some will turn up missing. This doesn't sound like what happened in YOUR case (since you found a shrimpy lodged in the throat of one of your fish) but I just wanted to throw it out there for general info :nod:

The-Raven said:
pica_nuttalli said:

What I really get a kick out of is that everybody seems to expect everyone to have at least a 55gal - and sometimes even that isn't enough. He told me flat out not to get a loach because it grows too large for my tank etc etc. I read more threads here about the loach and found that it does take years for it to even reach a size that a 30 gallon couldn't handle.

I'm not planning on upgrading my tank in the near future because I'm a poor bastard - and the nearest real fish store is an horu and a half away - all I have here is a walmart. That doesn't mean in 1-2 years I won't have a bigger tank... but it does mean I won't have one by next week, or even summer. And I don't expect the loach to grow so large that I'll need one in a few weeks or months.

On a side note, I don't know why everyone gets in such a big to-do that i'm doing a partial cycle with a loach. It doesn't really matter what kind of fish you use. A cycle hurts a danio or a gold fish as much as it does a loach... so it must just be that people consider the prettier fish to be a tragedy if they have to go through a cycle, while the cheaper, boring ones are expendable.
I was mad because I thought you said tou were never going to upgrade. If you plan to that makes it alright. Just when the cycling is done get 2 more clowns.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back