Ghost Shrimp......called Freshwater Shrimp But...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phlawed

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been keeping around 5 ghost shrimp in my tank at 1.010 and all seem to be doing fine. They shed about once a week or get eaten by puffer. What is the limit to these in salt conditions? Tried trying to find out some by google, but all they say is they are freshwater.

Ghost shrimp are particually hardy, and can withstand waters with an SG up to 1.005. If I remember correctly, they are truely freshwater, but can be found living in lightly brackish waters.

Ghost shrimp seem to do well in brackish tanks up to 1.005, but it seems odd that they are perfectly fine in 1.010, chances are you do not have ghost shrimp, but a diffrent shrimp species!

For some reason Im drawing a blank and can remeber the name, maybe a knowledgable member like nmonks will know it.

The problem is no-one knows which species are being sold. In the UK, feeder shrimps are Palaemon and Crangon spp., and these are brackish to marine, while in the US there seem to be a mix of freshwater and brackish species of Palaeomon and Palaeomonetes, depending on how close to the coast you are. Shrimps are incredibly difficult to identify even to genus level, and most hobbyists get completely muddled when trying to identify their beasts.

Fpr example, doing a quick Google search, I found ghost shrimps identified as "Callianassa californiensis", which they most certainly are not. Callianassids are very distinctive, live in the sea, have giant claws, and don't look anything like the glass shrimps hobbyists have.

Cheers,

Neale

I have been keeping around 5 ghost shrimp in my tank at 1.010 and all seem to be doing fine. They shed about once a week or get eaten by puffer. What is the limit to these in salt conditions? Tried trying to find out some by google, but all they say is they are freshwater.

The problem is no-one knows which species are being sold. In the UK, feeder shrimps are Palaemon and Crangon spp., and these are brackish to marine, while in the US there seem to be a mix of freshwater and brackish species of Palaeomon and Palaeomonetes, depending on how close to the coast you are. Shrimps are incredibly difficult to identify even to genus level, and most hobbyists get completely muddled when trying to identify their beasts.

Fpr example, doing a quick Google search, I found ghost shrimps identified as "Callianassa californiensis", which they most certainly are not. Callianassids are very distinctive, live in the sea, have giant claws, and don't look anything like the glass shrimps hobbyists have.

Cheers,

Neale

i have noticed some of my larger ones have little red dots on their tail and whiskers are sorta red, but only a few like this. Largest one has no markings at all that i can see

also when i say are doing fine, i would say life expectancy in tank is 2-4 weeks max. I buy about 3-5 every week or every other week depending how many puffer takes out. just use the survivors as tank bottom scrubs :D

i would say life expectancy in tank is 2-4 weeks max

I dont really consider that "fine". If they are dieing this often your shrimp are not taking too well to the salt.

i would say life expectancy in tank is 2-4 weeks max

I dont really consider that "fine". If they are dieing this often your shrimp are not taking too well to the salt.
no no no you didnt understand that....i have some that have been in there for 6weeks plus+++ just saying on average puffer eats them before they can reach the 2-4week mark. NONE have died of water conditions. Just puffer conditions :good:

Mine didn't hang in the 1.010 Archer tank but probably becauce they became food... never found bodies. 1.005 F8 tank they did just fine. 1.000 fresh 6G they're breeding quite happily. Thats all I can add to this. =)

Mine didn't hang in the 1.010 Archer tank but probably becauce they became food... never found bodies. 1.005 F8 tank they did just fine. 1.000 fresh 6G they're breeding quite happily. Thats all I can add to this. =)

pretty much same thing i am saying.....I have not sen breeding, but that is probably do to so many getting eaten during the week. But, overall, I have yet to see one die of anything other than puffer eating

I have had experiences with these shrimp, I had a fresh water tank with the ghost shrimp in it for about a year before I put them in with the puffer for food. Then I got them for the brakish tank, and I keep the salt pretty high in there, (like 1.018 or so) and they did fine as well. these were the same shrimp from the same retailer. the research I was able to do when I had a crazy idea to breed them as feeders said that they breed in extreme salt water like marine conditions or maybe higher salinity (I don't know where you would find that) and that they need water that's almost green from algae for the young to feed on. this is not entirely true because I had some young born in both the fresh and brakish tanks. all in all the shrimp seem pretty indestructible on their own. My puffer won't let them alone though. he'll go through 8 of them in a few hours if I put them all in the tank. that's why they don't breed in his tank. not enough time.

so phlawed, I would expect that the shrimp you have are likely the same as the ones I get since we're both from the states and not too far respectively from eachother.

(please excuse all spelling and grammar errors as I am forced to type this in a hurry, gotta get to class :X

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back