ghost shrimp and apple snails and pond snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fish_keeper2

I am Nemo!!
Reaction score
fist of all ive been trying to keep ghost shrimp in my 20 gal(1 3 spot gourami, 5 TBS and 1 rainbow shark) i dont know if they die and get eaten or if they are just eaten alive, they just disapear....anyway what conditions do they need just incase if they are dying. next ive also been trying to get pond snails to breed in the same tank to feed my puffer but they just wont and all i have now is a about 10-15 larger ones.....they have grown a quite bit since i put them in there. finnaly in my ten gal goldfish tank(see the one in the topic i posted tittled "ick") once i have it back to normal i was wondering if apple snails will eat brown slimy algea if so can i add 1 or 2 to that tank.

the rainbow shark might be eating them depending on size. Ghost shrimps are often used as food and most fish think of them as such. They like well planted tanks 22-25 C, they are omnivorous scavengers needing both meat and veg to stay healthy. They like well oxygenated water. hope this helps a bit.

thanks....do you happen to know y the pond snails dont seem to be breeding. also do yuo know if apple snails can go with goldfish and if so will they eat brown slimy algea.

are you feeding the snails enough

I seem to never have a problem with keeping snails as a steady supply for my puffer fish, then again none of the snails get very large, maybe that has something to do with it.

good luck with the ghost shrimp. I just picked up 8, 6 for the community and 2 for the puffer tank. they are soooo cool.

Pond snails prefer to lay their eggs on broad leaved live plants from my experience and this is how most people get them accidentally introduced into their tanks from buying new plants. The snails should readily accept algae wafers, prawns and catfish pelets- you can also buy supliments apparently that help give snails the extra calcium and thinsg they need to grow a good hard shell.
Ghost shrimp like all other shrimp need to molt their shells every now and then to grow and if there are no small protected caves that other fish can't reach them in, they will get eaten as soon as they molt when they have no hard shell to protect them from being eaten alive.

Most reactions

Back