Getting Impatient

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

beanz8

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We bought our Jewel 180 Vision a week today, we treated the water and ran the pump for 24 hours before starting cycling. We followed the information in the beginners resource center on this forum, using the add and wait method.

Now nearly a week laster i am still getting an ammonia reading of 4ppm :-(
Temp is 28 degrees.
PH is 7.4

Testing with the Api master test kit.

I have read other peoples cycling logs and they seem to have their ammonia being processed a lot faster.

Any ideas or am i just being impatient???

It can take some time for some folks... I understand the impatience, but consider that you are doing the right thing. If you were doing a fish-in cycle with this tank, you'd be doing 50+% daily water changes and who knows how many you'd have to do.

You could try upping your pH by adding sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), as the bacteria seem to prefer (grow best) at higher pH (~8.4). The temp is pretty good, but could even be bumped up a degree or two. Increase your surface agitation to increase the oxygen levels of your water, as the bacteria you seek are aerobic (need oxygen). If you have any airstones, use them, and you can lower your water level slightly to have the water splash in from the filter. Other than that, just keep reading up about the type of fish that are best suited for your tap water parameters, and reading about plants (if you decide to go there).

Ive been trying to cycle my tank for about 2 months now! Still not fully done. I have completed phase one of ammonia dropoing to 0 in about 8 hrs but now my nitrite is really high despite doing 80%-90% water changes.

This is a fishless cycle by the way.

What chemicals are you using to cycle your tank?

The only thnig that should be going into a fishless cycle is ammonia from a bottle and what ever you treated your tapwater with :good:

Yes all i am using is ammonia and declorinator.

I dont currently have an air stone but if it will help we shall get one, i know my partner wanted one.

I am not the most patient person but i know i am doing whats better for my future fishes.

It can take a longish while. If you have access to filter media or substrate from an established tank that can help immensely. I'm on week 3 of a fishless cycle (temp about 86 F, air stone cranked, tank covered with a blanket, all the recommended tips), , no drop in ammo at all, no nitrates, or nitrites. I finally broke down and ordered an "active" seeded sponge filter online and installed it yesterday. I'm already seeing drop in ammo and nitrates. It'll happen, just be patient. Before this I had fish in the tank and it was a nightmare b/c I didn't know about cycling until I got them. It was daily water changes, constant worrying and water testing and even with fish my levels never moved. Unfortunately the fish all died after a month so I''m going fishless now. Hang in there, it'll be worth the wait, but you probably have a while to go yet. Good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back